Make a home composter
Simple composting solutions can easily be made at home.
Create a composter using chicken wire
To create a simple home composter using chicken wire:
- use chicken wire to form a wide cylinder
- fasten with twist/cable ties
- anchor the cylinder to wooden poles, with staples
- cover with an old carpet (preferably a natural pile), cardboard or plastic to keep the compost warm and prevent over soaking from rain
Make a compost bin
An inexpensive and simple compost bin can be made by:
- drilling drainage holes at random points, approximately 12mm apart into an old rubbish bin (with a lid), or
- using wooden pallets/untreated timber, to create a 'crate', secured at the corners with wire or nails, and covering it with carpet, card or plastic to keep the compost warm and prevent over soaking from rain
Buy a compost bin
Find out how to buy a compost bin, if you're unable to make a home composter, or would prefer a ready-made solution.
Avoid burning garden waste
We strongly advise against burning your garden waste because:
- green and fresh/damp garden waste can be especially smoky when burned
- bonfire smoke is a nuisance to neighbours, preventing them from enjoying their own gardens, opening windows or hanging washing out
See further information on smoke nuisance.