Benefits of composting
Composting at home is better for the environment, as it avoids use of large vehicles/garden waste collections.
You can compost all year round, in most gardens (except the very smallest), so you reuse 'green waste' rather than throwing it away.
The benefits of home composting include:
- replacing peat products which are dug from important wildlife sites
- adding organic matter and nutrients which improve poor soils
- improves soil structure and water retention in both clay and sandy soils
- saving money on producing your own compost, rather than buying it
- maintains healthy plant growth, prevents some plant diseases and pests
- encourages micro-organisms and worms into the soil
- reusing materials you might have at home, to create your composter