Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Your council

Elections Act 2022

Voter identification

Following changes brought about by the Elections Act 2022, you must show an approved form of photographic identification (or 'photo ID') before voting at a polling station.

The following forms of 'voter ID' are accepted at polling stations:

  • passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • photographic driver’s licence (including provisional), issued by the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an European Economic Area (EEA) state
  • EEA photographic ID Card
  • UK Biometric Residence Permit
  • an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (PASS card)
  • Blue Badge
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • concessionary travel pass funded by HM Government or local authority, such as an older person's bus pass, disabled person's bus pass, or a Welsh or Northern Ireland travel card

Apply for a voter authority certificate

Apply for a free voter authority certificate if:

  • you don't have an accepted form of photo ID
  • you no longer look like the photo on your ID
  • the name on your photo ID is different to your name on the electoral register

Contact Electoral Services for help applying for a voter authority certificate, or to request an application form.

Logo: green speech bubble with words 'My vote, my voice - ' and a ticked checkbox inside.

Also see

Electoral Services

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551007

Combined authority mayoral election

The election of the first Mayor of the York and North Yorkshire Combined Authority takes place on Thursday 2 May. Get details of the election, see key dates and deadlines, and find out about different ways you can vote.

Choose your mayor