Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Your council

Students registering to vote

If you're a student in York you can vote in local and national (parliamentary) elections if your name is on the 'electoral register'.

You can register to vote online if you are:

  • 18 (or will become 18 during the life of the register)
  • a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union Member State citizen
  • resident at a York address

Before you begin, ensure you have your national insurance number ready. You can find this number on any of the following documents:

  • national insurance card
  • payslips
  • letters about benefits or tax credits
  • P60’s
  • letters about pensions

Your national insurance number and date of birth will be used to identify you and will be verified against Department of Works and Pension records, before our Electoral Registration office can approve your application.

Alternatively you can complete and return a 'paper form' to register to vote, available from GOV.UK.

We'll write to you to confirm receipt of your application and to confirm that your name has been added to the register.

Also see

Electoral Services

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551007