In recent years, York has enjoyed millions of pounds of public and private sector investment, helping to improve connectivity for residents across the city. Our digital landscape is providing significant new opportunities for thousands of businesses based in the city and a better quality of life for our residents.
Our ambition is to make York the first truly ‘gigabit city’. Improved connectivity not only helps create new jobs and attract investment to the city, but also helps make York an enviable business destination and an even more desirable place to live.
Some of the projects currently happening across the city include:
- Free superfast Wi-Fi - provided in partnership with Digital York
- UFO (Ultra Fibre Optic network) - provided in partnership with Sky, TalkTalk and CityFibre
- Project Lightning - provided by Virgin Media
- Rural broadband - provided in partnership with Superfast West Yorkshire
Free Wi-Fi in York
CityConnect Free Wi-Fi in York is free to use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and fully supports:
- smart phones and social media
- general web browsing
- streaming services
Log in to CityConnect free Wi-Fi via social media or by completing a simple on-line registration form when prompted.
Our 24/7 high quality Wi-Fi network is indispensable for both our residents and visitors; York boasts the largest blend of integrated city centre & transport Wi-Fi in the UK. We were also the first city to be ‘child friendly Wi-Fi’ accredited.
Ultra Fibre Optic (UFO) network
We are are developing a pure fibre broadband network in York, in partnership with:
The Ultra Fibre Optic (UFO) network is capable of delivering broadband with speeds of up 1000Mb, directly to homes and businesses.
For queries about UFO street works, contact York’s Ultra Fibre Optic 24 hour careline: 0800 542 8073, or email email@example.com.
Virgin Media are expanding their ultrafast fibre optic broadband network in York and can now be accessed in Copmanthorpe, Badger Hill and Heslington. Work is currently taking place in Haxby and Wigginton and should be completed by May 2019.
The network offers speeds of up to 200Mbps for residents and 300Mbps for businesses.
See further information about Virgin Media's network expansion.
For queries about Virgin Media’s Project Lightning street works, telephone: 0333 000 5925 (option 1), or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re one of 6 local authorities delivering superfast broadband to residents and businesses in rural areas, in partnership with:
The phased programme will reach areas such as Askham Bryan, Askham Richard, Acaster Malbis and Hessay by the end of 2018, with future phases planned throughout 2019 and 2020.
Visit Superfast West Yorkshire for more information.
For all enquiries regarding connectivity in York, please contact our Digital City Team.
Broadband upgrade for businesses
York has been chosen as one of only 4 areas in the UK to pilot a new national scheme enabling small and medium businesses to apply for a grant to upgrade their business broadband.
There are 2 options available to help improve your business broadband:
- gigabit vouchers - businesses can claim up to £3,000 against the cost of connection either individually or as part of a group project (residents can claim a voucher up to the value of £500 as part of a group project which also includes businesses)
- connectivity vouchers - these are available up to the value of £1,000 and are intended to help businesses upgrade to higher speed business-grade broadband, above 30Mbps