Led by award-winning teams from HemingwayDesign, For the Love of Place and Creative Tourist and funded by Leeds City Region Business Rates Pool, we're asking residents, visitors, businesses, students, and anyone with an opinion about York, to tell us what you think makes York special.
All about our Talk York project
The Talk York project aims to:
- attract investment
- attract visitors
- help rebalance the local economy
- enhance the regional, national and international perception of York
Talk York consultation
Get involved with shaping the future of York by giving your feedback online, between 5 June and 9 July:
We want to hear your views whether you're familiar with York, or you haven't visited for a while.
We'll use your comments to inform how we:
- connect residents and commuters to the whole city
- nurture existing talent in York
- unlock further prosperity in York
- increase spend in the tourism sector
- attract longer staying visitors
- inform investors and developers about commercial space opportunities
Get involved with Talk York
Share your comments about York at libraries and community venues across the city.
Add your feedback to 'consultation boards' at the following locations:
- Acomb Explore Library, Front Street, York, YO24 3BZ - for opening times see: www.exploreyork.org.uk/acomb-explore
- Askham Bryan College, Askham Bryan, York YO23 3FR - for opening times, contact reception on telephone: 01904 772277
- Mansion House, St Helen’s Square, York, YO1 9QL - open Wednesday to Sunday, 10.30am to 5.00pm
- Tang Hall Explore Library, The Centre @ Burnholme, Mossdale Ave, York, YO31 0HA - for opening times see: www.exploreyork.org.uk/tang-hall-explore
- University of York, Ron Cooke Hub, Heslington, York, YO10 5GE - for opening times, contact hub reception on telephone: 01904 325100
- Visit York, 1 Museum St, York YO1 7DT - open everyday
- West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO6 1GA - open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm
- York Explore Library, Library Square, Museum Street, York YO1 7DS - for opening times see: www.exploreyork.org.uk/york-explore
- York Hospital, Wigginton Rd, York, YO31 8HE - open 24 hours
- York St John University, Lord Mayor's Walk, York, YO31 7EX - for opening times, contact university switchboard on telephone: 01904 624624
Local businesses, students and residents can meet Talk York consultants at a range of community events, including a 'Masterclass in Place Branding', led by Martin Boisen, founder of For the Love of Place, on Tuesday 2 July - book tickets online.
The masterclass will be webcast 'live' from York St John University, via our YouTube Channel, from 6.00pm.
Background to Talk York
York has recently won awards from the Sunday Times who voted it 'best place to live' in the UK in 2018, and 'best place to live' in the North and North East of England in 2019.
On top of this, York boasts UNESCO 'City of Media Arts' status, being the UK's first 'gigabit city', a Condé Nast 'best city architecture, 2018' award, best Christmas market in the UK, and 'Britain's favourite city' (YouGov).
However, York has a challenging local economy:
- even though residents are highly educated, weekly wages in the city are below average
- young people and key workers often struggle to afford to live in the city
- there are high levels of employment in the hospitality, retail and health and social care sectors, which pay less than the national average wage
Through this consultation, we hope to start to plan to rebalance the local economy, by attracting further inward investment.
The consultants we're working with are passionate about shaping and improving places, to attract investment and tourism, and to make them better for residents; the project team bring best-practice and international experience from similar projects in Amsterdam, Manchester, Copenhagen, Utrecht, London King’s Cross, and Thamesmead.
Talk York partners
We're working partners as part of the Talk York project, including:
- Askham Bryan College
- Ebor Academy
- Hiscox UK
- Innovation Space
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Make it York
- Manor Church of England Academy
- Media Arts Guild
- Nestlé UK
- NHS Vale of York
- North Yorkshire County Council
- Pathfinder Academy Trust
- University of York
- West Yorkshire Combined Authority
- York and East Riding LEP
- York BID
- York College
- York CVS
- York Chamber of Commerce
- York Civic Trust
- York Conservation Trust
- York Cultural Leaders Group
- York: Human Rights City Network
- York Mediale
- York NHS Hospitals
- York Racecourse
- York St John University