Leaving school is a major part of growing up. There are lots of potential paths for young people to take at this point in life, but deciding which of these is best for you can sometimes be difficult and confusing.
Thankfully, there are plenty of resources available to help you make your decision and we're providing links and resources to help young people make the crucial transition from education to employment.
You can find support in York from:
- your school - teaching staff will be able to support you with your next steps
- Careers Advisers employed by our schools
- Admissions teams at York College and Askham Bryan College
- National Careers Service can help with local employment and training opportunities
- Our York Apprenticeship Hub - there are local apprenticeship vacancies in York and many more in Leeds across a range of sectors and job roles. We can sign post you to agencies and training providers.
Resources for school leavers
- our Next Steps for school and college leavers advice outlines the various educational options you have including A-levels, apprenticeships and BTECs
- our 2022/2023 Post 16 Pathways guide is for parents, carers and young people, giving information about the options available and important things to think about
Support is also available for anyone who is particularly worried about their results and next steps:
To find out more about open days from local colleges and universities, please visit the following websites.