There is an emergency response plan in place for the River Ouse within the City of York boundary which identifies locations on the river bank which the emergency services can access in order to assist in an emergency situation.
River Ouse emergency access points
Identifying emergency access points
Emergency access points are identified by yellow signs with a red border and a number in the centre. Before travelling along the River Ouse, make sure you can identify the signs and know how to use them.
Using emergency access locations
As you travel along the River Ouse:
- note which signs you pass
- use the sign number when you summon assistance in an emergency
- tell the emergency services the last sign you passed and whether you're travelling up or downstream
Each emergency service:
- has a copy of the response plan
- knows the location of the access points
- uses this information to direct their officers accordingly