Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Residential care homes help people who can no longer manage to look after themselves at home due to frailty, mobility problems or other issues that may occur with older age.

Nursing care homes help people with complex medical problems, who need regular help from health professionals.

After your care assessment, if we decide that a care home would be the best place for you to live, we can recommend homes which may suit your needs and tell you about vacancies. You and your family or carer can visit the homes to see them for yourselves, and ask any questions you may have.

Residential care in York

We run Haxby Hall residential care home for older people, which is regulated by the Care Quality Commission.

There are also a number of privately-owned care homes in York which offer residential and nursing care.

See details of care homes in York in the NHS care home directories:

Residential care provides:

  • 24-hour care from trained carers
  • a manager on site during the day
  • your own bedroom
  • communal areas and facilities
  • activities available to all residents

Short-term places are often available for people recovering from a hospital stay or illness, or to give their carer a break.

Older person's homes help people over the age of 65 with:

  • conditions such as stroke or loss of mobility
  • dementia
  • mental health problems
  • physical disabilities
  • learning disabilities

Paying for residential care

The cost of living in a care home varies depending on the facilities provided and the type of care you need.

You can:

Care invoices that can be paid online:

Also see

Adult Social Care Community Team

Telephone: 01904 555111, Textphone: 07534 437804

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Adult Social Care Emergency Duty Team

Contact the Emergency Duty Team for assistance.

We're available between 5.00pm and 8.30am, Monday to Friday, 24 hours a day over weekends (between 5.00pm Friday until 8.30am Monday), and 24 hours on bank holidays.

Telephone: 0300 131 2131