Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Pay your care invoices online:

Find information about all aspects of planning and paying for care:

Planning and paying for care

Read our financial information and advice if you're thinking about how to plan and pay for care.

Read our advice on managing your finances and what could happen if you haven’t made advance arrangements.

Top of page

Free care and support services

The following care and support services are provided free of charge:

  • equipment, aids and adaptations to assist with living at home, to the value of £1,000
  • re-ablement support services for up to 6 weeks
  • care and support for people with Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease (CJD)
  • services which the NHS has a duty to provide
  • assessment of need
  • care planning including information and advice
  • help in completing your financial assessment
  • care and support services provided under S117 Mental Health Act 1983

Top of page

Chargeable care and support services

All chargeable care and support services are purchased through personal budgets.

See further information about our current fees, charges, allowances and rates.

Top of page

Assessment for funding eligibility

You'll first be assessed to see if you have eligible care and support needs.

If you do, we'll make a referral for a financial assessment.

Top of page

Self-funding care

If you have capital (excluding your main or only home) over £23,250, you'll be responsible for funding all of your care and support costs.

See our advice on self-funding and funding eligibility to help you decide how to arrange your care and support.

We can give you an idea of when funding should become available if:

  • you've been self-funding in a care home
  • you don’t own a property, and
  • your savings are reducing to £23,250

See more information about how we calculate your eligibility for funding.

Top of page

Calculating your contribution for care

If your capital is less than £23,250, we'll do a financial assessment to calculate how much you can contribute towards your care and support costs.

We'll calculate your contribution based on the type of care you'll receive.

There are three types of financial assessment:

You may be eligible for a 12 week property disregard if you're:

DPA calculator

Use our DPA calculator to find out whether you'll be offered a deferred payment, and estimate what you'll be able to afford.

Top of page

Care contribution calculation examples

To help you understand how care contributions are calculated, we've provided some examples of financial assessments of income, capital and expenditure:

Top of page

Top-up payments

If you choose to go into a care home that costs more than the local authority-agreed budget for your care, you can pay the additional cost through a top-up agreement.

If you choose this option, we recommend seeking financial advice first.

See further details of organisations that can provide financial information, advice and support.

Top of page

Non-payment and debt recovery

The Care Act 2014 sets out what action we can take in the case of non-payment of care fees and debt recovery.

Top of page

Complaining about your care charge

Make a complaint to our Income Services Team (email: or telephone: 01904 552044) if you (or your representative) disagree with:

  • how your care charge has been calculated, or
  • the amount of the charge

If you dispute how your financial assessment has been calculated our first step is to ensure that the assessment is correct.

An officer (independent of the dispute) will reassess the information provided at the time of the assessment, and any information omitted will also be considered. However, we're under no obligation to backdate the outcome; the only exception is where benefit income has stopped, (and will not be re-instated) without your prior knowledge.

If the disputed assessment is correct, complaints about the level of charge are subject to the Care and Support Complaints Procedure as set out in the Local Authority Social Services and NHS Complaints Regulations 2009.

If your complaint relates to a deferred payment agreement, where we're providing you with a loan secured against an asset other than land or property, this loan is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Find out about making a complaint that's not related to your financial assessment.

Top of page

Also see

Adult Social Care Community Team

Telephone: 01904 555111, Textphone: 07534 437804

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Adult Social Care Emergency Duty Team

Contact the Emergency Duty Team for assistance.

We're available between 5.00pm and 8.30am, Monday to Friday, 24 hours a day over weekends (between 5.00pm Friday until 8.30am Monday), and 24 hours on bank holidays.

Telephone: 01609 780780