Major developments in Derwenthorpe
Derwenthorpe is a 21.7 hectare site west of Metcalfe Lane, Osbaldwick, 2 miles east of the city centre.
A new, highly sustainable residential community is being developed by Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust; it's a mixed tenure, exemplary community of energy efficient homes, 40% being affordable for rent or sale to local families – the remainder being open market value, together with car club and contributions for cycles and bus passes.
Timeline for the Derwenthorpe development
- 2006 - public inquiry held; Report to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
- May 2007 - outline planning permission approved, which granted the principle of development; The Secretary of State's decision
- reserved matters applications have been approved for all four phases of this site (Ref: outline 03/02709/OUT, Phase 1 Reserved Matters 07/02789/REMM, Phase 2 Reserved Matters 12/00242/REMM, Phases 3 and 4 12/01878/REMM). A full planning permission was granted in 2016 for revisions for Phase 4 of the development (16/00342/FULM); view the application documents
- the scheme has won awards for both design and build, including a Civic Trust Award (2014 for Phase 1), Housing Design Award ('Completed' category 2013), What House? Awards (Silver in 'Best Development' 2013)
- Phases 1 and 2 are now complete and fully occupied. Phases 3 and 4 continue to be built out, with a large number of properties within these phases now occupied
- Planning permission was submitted in Summer 2018 for a revised layout for the area under Phase 3 of the scheme, which was previously the National Grid site
- Derwenthopre Partnership Advisory Committee and various sub-groups are managed by Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust, this is to provide on-going advice and dialogue as the site develops