When there is a flood in York we'll provide assistance, practical support and information as soon as it is safe and appropriate to do so.

To get updates about current flooding in York:

Email: flood@york.gov.uk or contact us to speak to us about concerns related to floods.

Helpful information about floods

Flood warnings

The GOV.UK flood information service is updated regularly, and the Environment Agency provide current flood warnings (refreshed every 10 minutes):

Find out what flood warning symbols mean.

If you live, work or have a business in a flood-risk area you can get flood warnings sent direct to you - contact the Environment Agency's Floodline, telephone: 0345 9881188 for more information.

Top of page

Traffic and travel during floods

For the latest traffic and travel information, including details of road closures visit the iTravel York website.

Get advice on driving through flood water from SmartDriving.co.uk.

Top of page

Support for residents and businesses

For detailed information on financial support available for those affected by the floods see: York Floods - Financial support package for residents and businesses.

Please avoid entering flood waters, as there may be hidden dangers like sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution. For practical advice on what to do to protect yourself and your property read the Environment Agency leaflet 'What to do before, during and after a flood' or find out more from the Environment Agency.

Take care when deciding which traders can help you to repair your home, or which services to use following floods. For advice on how to spot rogue traders see the Citizens Advice Bureau website, or contact them on tel: 03454 04 05 06. Alternatively, Age UK York's home services directory lists traders vetted by the police and City of York Trading Standards.

If your business has been affected by flooding the Health and Safety Executive has advice on recovering your business safely after flooding specific information is also available for food businesses affected by flooding.

Top of page

Flood safety and public health

We have a public health responsibility and works closely with Public Health England, who have a variety of advice for those affected by flooding including:

Top of page


The Association of British Insurers have advice for those recovering from floods.

If you have been affected, please contact your insurer. Information is also available from the Association of British Insurers on the insurance process when responding to major floods.

You can also find out about Flood Re, a joint Government and insurance industry initiative to enable you to find affordable insurance for qualifying properties that are at risk of flooding or have been flooded.

Top of page


For details of our sandbag policy and how to build a sandbag wall, see our sandbag information.

Please note:

  • sandbags are not available for public collection from Hazel Court
  • we give out sandbags to private properties if we have enough, and people to distribute them
  • there is no charge for sandbags
  • we may restrict the number you can have

Top of page

River flooding emergency plans

The River Ouse and River Foss rise and fall regularly in York. With our partners we have well-established emergency plans for flooding and for the protection of the city, its people and premises when this happens. The actions and temporary works detailed within plans are incremental and are triggered by Environment Agency warnings and forecasts.

Find out more about Community Emergency Plans.

Top of page

Also see

Comment on this page