The Major Incident Response Team (MIRT) is part of North Yorkshire County Council and the City of York Council’s 24-hour emergency response service, normally 'called out' by the emergency services or local authority emergency planning units. They provide a confidential and non-intrusive support service to anyone caught up in an incident or event that is outside of 'normal' life.
The team is made up of volunteer professionals from a range of different backgrounds, such as:
- social care
- the voluntary sector
- public sector
Role of the Major Incident Response Team
The Major Incident Response Team:
- offers practical and emotional support
- responds to the needs of anyone who finds themselves caught up in traumatic or life-changing incidents
In order to carry out this work effectively and safely, all team members are committed to an on-going training programme, including 'critical incident stress debriefing'.
Services provided by the Major Incident Response Team
The MIRT works closely with statutory and voluntary agencies, providing the following services:
- managing and coordinating evacuation centres, for example, rest/reception/survivor or family and friends, the latter in collaboration with Police
- immediate practical support
- emotional support
- telephone support
- support for friends and relatives at reception centres
- support to the Police Casualty Bureau
- duty at a temporary mortuary
- post-incident support to victims and relatives
- support to Incident Response staff
- support for Emergency Services personnel responding to an incident
- support when dealing with media interest
For further information, and if you're interested in volunteering with the MIRT, contact our Emergency Planning Team, or email email@example.com.
Emergency contact details
If you wish to contact City of York Council to report a current emergency situation, please do not contact the Emergency Planning Team.
You can report problems online using our eforms. Emergency issues will be dealt with as a priority.
Get information on how to contact us out of hours to report emergency issues.