A dwelling may be eligible for a 50% discount if it is undergoing major or structural repairs to render it habitable. The dwelling must be unoccupied and substantially unfurnished. The maximum period this discount can be awarded for is 12 months. This discount is not intended to cover elective works, redecoration or minor repairs. Examples of works which would not qualify for this discount include: redecoration, repair or replacement of a kitchen or bathroom suite, rewiring, plumbing or heating. This discount is also not intended to cover property improvements such as extensions or loft conversions.
A property may be entitled to a discount if it meets the following criteria: "1. The property is currently undergoing major repair work to make it suitable to live in;" or "2. Work is underway to make structural alterations and the majority of this work has not been completed".
Repairs and Alterations that do not meet the criteria:
- plumbing or heating
- replacement or repairs of bathroom and kitchen or any other fitting or fixtures
- timber or damp proof treatments
- repairs or renewals of services
- maintenance, for example, re-pointing, window or door replacement
- extensions, conservatories or loft conversions
In Scope Repairs which do meet the criteria:
- major repairs to roof structures
- rebuilding defective chimney stack(s)
- rebuilding external walls
- repair/renewal of foundations
- underpinning substandard foundations
- replacing defective solid floors
- replacing defective solid floor joists
- property totally gutted including removing most internal walls (not stud/partition walls)
- replacing defective ceiling joists
- rebuilding defective walls (not stud/partition walls)
It is vital you collect the following information beforehand,
- receipts of work done
- dated photographs
- builders surveys
- surveyors surveys
Find out more about how to upload documents and our file requirements.
Apply for Council Tax Discount for property undergoing a major structural repair
Please be aware that our system will 'time out' after 10 minutes spent on each page of this application.
Council Tax appointments
To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.