You can raise a dispute against summons or liability order costs due to council tax arrears at an address.

You're only able to raise a dispute if:

  • you are a liable party for the account
  • a summons or liability order has been issued
  • you are raising a dispute under one of the acceptable dispute criteria

You should check the acceptable dispute criteria before submitting your dispute.

As well as providing guidance as to when to make a dispute, these criteria also contain advice regarding what supporting documents might be required.

raise a summons or liability order dispute

Acceptable criteria for raising a dispute

You can only dispute a summons or liability order under one of the following criteria. If your dispute doesn't meet one of these criteria it will not be considered.

Not all disputes will lead to the cancellation of a summons or liability order, even if the dispute is made under one of the acceptable criteria.

Please note that your account will be treated as normal and may be subject to further recovery action whilst any dispute is ongoing. You should maintain payments in line with any requests received until you are advised of the outcome of your dispute.

The outstanding balance has been paid

You may maintain that payments were made as required, so the account was up to date at the time a summons or liability order was issued.

It will help if you can provide proof of any payments made in support of your dispute, such as a scanned copy of a bank statement or counter receipt.

The charge is incorrect

If you should have received a discount or exemption for the chargeable period, then a summons may have been issued for an incorrect amount.

You will need to provide evidence that you made an application for a discount or exemption at the appropriate time, before a summons was issued.

If you have not yet made an application for any discount or exemption you should also make a separate application for a council tax discount or exemption. This may result in an amendment to the amount for which you are now being held liable.

You should not be held liable

If you believe that someone else should have been liable then you should provide evidence, such as tenancy agreements in support of your dispute.

The other liable party may be:

  • another occupant
  • a landlord
  • the property owner

You did not live in the property during the period when you have been made liable

You may dispute costs on the grounds that you were not living at the address during the chargeable period, for example:

  • you never moved in to the address
  • you moved out on an earlier date

You should provide copies of proof of occupancy or tenancy start and end dates in support of your dispute.

You may need to deal with a change of address for council tax in addition to submitting this form.

When a dispute is not possible

If your case does not meet any of the acceptable criteria, we may still be able to help you to come to an arrangement to help manage your outstanding debt.

Please contact us to discuss your account status and whether it might be possible to set up a Special Payment Arrangement.

Also see

Comment on this page