Council tax

Council tax discount for carers

Apply for a Caring for Disabled Persons Council Tax Discount if you care for someone with a disability.

To get a ‘carer's discount’ both the person providing care and the people being cared for must meet the relevant criteria; once you've checked the requirements, send your completed form to The Council Tax Revenues Team.

Requirements for council tax carers discount

To meet the criteria for a carers discount, the person providing care must:

  • be a resident at the same address as the disabled person
  • be providing care for at least 35 hours per week
  • not be the husband, wife or civil partner of the person
  • not be the parent of the person, if they are under 18

The people being cared for must also receive one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • highest or middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • an increase in the rate of disablement pension
  • an increase in the rate of Constant Attendance Allowance
  • standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces independent payment

Amount of council tax discount for carers

If the criteria are met the carer would be 'disregarded', and if 2 adults are living in the property, a 25% discount would be applicable.

If there are more then 2 adults living in the property, a discount would only apply if all but 1 of the occupants are disregarded.

Also see

Council Tax appointments

To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.

Make an appointment