For the safety of our staff and customers, and to help minimise the spread of coronavirus, we’re offering alternative access to some of our services. Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRC) at Hazel Court and Towthorpe/Strensall are open, however, you should ensure you maintain social distancing measures if you visit the tip.
Residents and business users must book an appointment to dispose of household or commercial waste at a HWRC.
See further information about visiting the tip, including:
- booking your HWRC visit
- using Click Before You Tip (terms and conditions)
- visiting the HWRC safely
- accepted waste
Booking your HWRC visit
Use our 'Click Before You Tip' HWRC booking system to select a date and time to visit your nearest HWRC.
Businesses can only book to dispose of commercial waste at Hazel Court, and only on week days.
If you don't have an email address (which is used to confirm online booking details), telephone: 01904 551550 to book via our Customer Centre.
Appointments are limited over a rolling 14 day period; we cannot accept 'same day' or 'next day' bookings.
Using Click Before You Tip
Our Click Before You Tip booking system ensures adequate spaces between booked appointments, so that social distancing guidelines are maintained, and traffic queues into our HWRCs are managed.
You'll be asked to agree to the terms and conditions for 'Click Before You Tip', which are:
- you plan ahead and take steps to consider your own safety, maintaining social distancing measures at all times
- you arrive in the vehicle which matches the registration number used during booking (if the registration of the vehicle does not match the booking, then the vehicle will be turned away)
- you arrive on time, and bring your booking reference with you
- you only take an amount of waste that you can unload within your 30 minute booked time (also allowing for entry and exit)
- you're able to lift waste out of your vehicle (we can only assist once items are removed from your vehicle)
- you travel alone, or only 1 person gets out of your vehicle
- residents using trailers, vans and pickups must bring a permit (as usual)
- businesses bringing commercial waste must stop at the weighbridge (as usual) - normal invoicing rates apply
- you respect our staff who'll be working to maintain traffic management and social distancing measures
- you maintain social distancing measures throughout your appointment (staying 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household)
Visiting the HWRC safely
Tips in York are open based on government guidance about coronavirus.
If you book an appointment to visit the tip you must follow the terms and conditions for using Click Before You Tip
Do not visit a HWRC if you're:
- extremely clinically vulnerable and are remaining at home for shielding purposes
- showing symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19)
- in a 14-day household isolation period
See government advice on staying at home, and social distancing guidance.
Entry and exit at HRWCs
Please respect instructions from our staff, who'll be working to manage the flow of vehicles, and ensure social distancing measures are maintained.
Check details of what waste can be disposed of at our HWRCs:
Rules for commercial waste disposal still apply, and no trade waste will be accepted at weekends.
Wherever possible, we encourage you to recycle as much as possible, and compost your garden waste at home until such time as your collections resume.