An 'Article 4 Direction' is a special planning regulation we've adopted (as the Local Planning Authority) to provide additional powers over development in a particular location.
These regulations help us to introduce planning controls for minor developments and change of use to ensure we protect the character of our local area.
The regulations remove permitted development rights for certain minor alterations, extensions and changes of use, as set out in 'the direction', where normally planning permission wouldn't be required.
Article 4 Directions relating to planning regulations in York
The effect of Article 4 Directions is that planning permission is required for specified minor developments and 'changes of use' in the affected areas:
- planning restrictions for East Mount Road
- planning restrictions for Heslington
- restrictions relating to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
- protecting 'change of use' at The Punch Bowl public house
- restrictions relating to 79 Fulford Road