We're highly ambitious in our About Children's, Education and Community Services, and we're proud of our supportive leadership team.
Listening to families is how we deliver the best possible outcomes, and our vision is straightforward; children and young people are the heart of everything we do:
- our caseloads are low, well supported and supervised in comparison to many other areas of the UK
- we're recognised for our innovative and creative practice by the Department of Education (DFE)
- our overall view of school performance helps us to better allocate resources to those in need
- we have strong relationships with schools and partners to ensure the effective safeguarding of children
- our multi-agency working relationships are robust and we host a Regional Adoption Agency
As a result, our education standards are consistently very high, amongst the very best in the country - over 90% of our children go to 'Good' or 'Outstanding' schools. We also have strong provision for children with Special Educational Needs and disabilities.
Our commitment to Continuous Professional Development
Even though we have made progress in improving attainment outcomes for children from disadvantaged backgrounds, the gap continues to be too large and we still have more to do.
We're committed to providing Continuous Professional Development to our workforce and we're working on a new plan to develop skills for the future, looking to improve the quality of jobs, develop more apprenticeships and ensure that no one is left behind in the job skills market.
The People and Communities Team provides community, culture and leisure services; they are an experienced and talented and involved in community and ward engagement, helping councillors develop ward budget priorities, to ensure resources are allocated to the unique needs of each community.
Like many councils, we restructured our services recently. However, this was not an attempt to resolve underlying issues, but due to our unrelenting ambition to be even better.
We're especially focused on taking our Childrens' Services from a 'Good' to an 'Outstanding' Ofsted rating across the board.