We keep the Form to Request Road or Footpath Closures and Parking Suspensions Privacy Notice under review. We created this privacy notice in February 2023 and will keep it under regular review.
When we use your personal data, City of York Council (CYC) complies with data protection legislation and is the registered ‘Controller’. Our data protection notification is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – reference Z5809563.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
- why is information being collected?
- when we collect your personal data
- how will we use the information about you?
- what personal data will be requested
- when will we share your personal information?
- what is our legal basis for collecting / sharing your personal information?
- how long do we keep your personal data?
- further processing
- your rights
Why is information being collected?
This information is requested for the purpose of assessing and decision-making process for the application. Also, for invoicing and audit trail purposes due to the legal orders and notices being generated for road closures and parking suspensions.
When we collect your personal data
- ensure you know why we need it
- only ask for what is necessary for the service we are providing to you
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you
How will we use the information about you?
The personal information you give us will be used by the council to process your application as you have requested.
What personal data will be requested
The council only requires minimal personal data as part of the online application such as:
- name, address, phone number and email address of the applicant
- location of the closure including road name, town/village, USRN, NGR, Property Numbers
- name, address and telephone numbers of any Contractor(s)
When will we share your personal information?
The information provided will be shared with our finance teams and other council services as required such as the Highway Regulation and Streetworks teams.
The information we collect may be included in reports, presentations, statistics or returns to central government where required. Any information for publication or use outside of the authorised council staff, will be anonymised and cannot be linked back to you or individuals. Reports containing anonymous information may also be shared with the general public and other organisations.
We may also make available the final submitted and approved Traffic Management Plans however these will not identify you or any individuals.
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent. For example, if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as law enforcement, regulation and licensing, criminal prosecutions and court proceedings.
For more information about what we do with your information, for example, cookies, please see our council website privacy notice.
What is our legal basis for collecting / sharing your personal information?
The council collects and uses your personal data as requested and generated for road closures and parking suspensions, which is required to process your application.
How long do we keep your personal data?
There is a legal requirement to keep this information for 1 year for the purpose of temporary road closures and parking suspensions and 7 years financial purposes, invoice and payments. Then we'll delete or destroy it securely.
Where required or appropriate, at the end of the retention period we will pass onto the City Archives any relevant information.
We'll not use your personal data for any other purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, However, if required, where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to changes and/or any new processing.
To find out about your rights under data protection law, you can go to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) website. You can also find information about your rights online.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, want to exercise any of your legal rights, or if you have a complaint about how your personal data has been used, please contact us.
- Website terms and disclaimer
- Data Protection Policy Statement
- Accessibility statement
- Cookies policy
- Copyright statement