Skip hire companies are responsible for obtaining a 'skip permit' or 'skip licence', they must complete skip licence application form to get permission to put a skip on the road or grass verge.
Permits are needed for:
- 'hippobags' and other skip bags
You don't need a skip licence to put a skip on private land.
We require 3 working days notice to process skip permit applications; if a skip is required urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge.
Restrictions for skip permits
- we will not give permission to put a skip on the pavement or footway, except in exceptional circumstances
- we will not give permission to put a skip on double yellow lines
- the skip should not cause obstruction to other highway users
- the skip should be lit at night
- the skip company should place cones around the skip
- the licence should be displayed in a visible area (for example, the ground floor window of an adjacent property)
Costs of skip permits
The skip company will be charged:
- £55 for 1 to 14 days
- £55 for an additional 1 to 14 days
- an additional £37 if 3 days' notice is not given (£92 in total)
If we find a skip on the road or grass verge without a permit, we'll contact the skip company. They'll be required to apply for a permit or remove the skip immediately. We invoice a penalty charge of £99 to the skip company for every skip found without a permit. The penalty charge is in addition to the cost of a permit.
Any skip found on the road or grass verge without lights, cones or breaching any other licence conditions will result in an extra charge to the skip company of £26.
We invoice the skip company at the end of each month for all costs incurred.
Tacit consent does not apply to applications for skip permits; it's in the public interest for us to process your application, before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you haven't heard from us within 3 working days, contact us to check the status of your application