You need permission to put a skip on the road or grass verge. The skip company is responsible for obtaining the skip permit, sometimes called a 'skip licence'. You do not need a skip licence to put a skip on private land.
How to apply for a skip permit
Download and complete a skip permit application form.
You need a permit for:
- hippobags and other skip bags
We require three working days notice to process your application. If a skip is required urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge.
- we will not give permission to put a skip on the pavement or footway unless there are exceptional circumstances
- we will not give permission to put a skip on double yellow lines
- the skip should not cause obstruction to other highway users
- the skip should be lit at night
- the skip company should place cones around the skip
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 3 days.
If you have not heard from us within 3 working days please contact Network Management.
Costs for skips
The skip company will be charged:
- £37 for 1 to 14 days
- £37 for an additional 1 to 14 days
- an additional £19 if a skip is required urgently (£56 in total)
If we find a skip on the road or grass verge without a permit we will contact the skip company. They will be required to apply for a permit or remove the skip immediately. We invoice a penalty charge of £58 to the skip company for every skip found without a permit. The penalty charge is in addition to the cost of a permit.
Any skip found on the road or grass verge without lights or cones will result in an extra charge to the skip company of £19.
We invoice the skip company at the end of each month for any costs incurred.