You need permission to put a skip on the road or grass verge. The skip company is responsible for obtaining the skip permit, sometimes called a 'skip licence':
You need a permit for:
- 'hippobags' and other skip bags
You do not need a skip licence to put a skip on private land.
We require 3 working days' notice to process your application. If a skip is required urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge.
Restrictions for skip permits
- we will not give permission to put a skip on the pavement or footway, except in exceptional circumstances
- we will not give permission to put a skip on double yellow lines
- the skip should not cause obstruction to other highway users
- the skip should be lit at night
- the skip company should place cones around the skip
- the licence should be displayed in a visible area (for example, the ground floor window of an adjacent property)
Costs for skips
The skip company will be charged:
- £49 for 1 to 14 days
- £49 for an additional 1 to 14 days
- an additional £36 if 3 days' notice is not given (£85 in total)
If we find a skip on the road or grass verge without a permit, we will contact the skip company. They will be required to apply for a permit or remove the skip immediately. We invoice a penalty charge of £97 to the skip company for every skip found without a permit. The penalty charge is in addition to the cost of a permit.
Any skip found on the road or grass verge without lights, cones or breaching any other licence conditions will result in an extra charge to the skip company of £25.
We invoice the skip company at the end of each month for all costs incurred.
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 3 working days please contact us to check the status of your application