You must have a licence to put building materials on any part of the highway in York.
We require 3 working days notice is required to process your application, if permission is required more urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge.
- the building materials should not cause obstruction to other highway users
- the area used to store building materials should be coned or protected with barriers for safety
- the area must be lit during the hours of darkness
Restrictions on the location of building materials on the highway
We will not give permission to put building materials:
- on the footway
- on the carriageway if there are double yellow lines
Building materials on the highway without permission
If we find building materials on the road or grass verge without permission, we'll contact the owner of the adjacent property and ask them to remove the materials, or apply for permission.
Cost of licence to put building materials on the highway
£55 for normal applications (minimum 3 days' notice) to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days
£92 for urgent applications (immediate placement) to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days
You can pay at the time of application, otherwise you will receive an invoice.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
If you haven't heard from us within 3 working days, contact us to check the status of your application.