You must have a licence to store building materials on any part of the highway.
We require 3 working days' notice to process your application.
If you require permission more urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge.
- building materials should not obstruct other highway users
- the area should be 'coned' or protected with barriers for safety
- the area must be lit during the hours of darkness
Restrictions on the location of building materials on the highway
We will not give permission to store building materials on:
- carriageways (if on double yellow lines)
Building materials on the highway without permission
If we find building materials left on the road or grass verge without permission, we'll contact the owner of the adjacent property and ask them to remove the materials, or apply for permission to do this.
Licence costs to store building materials on the highway
Costs to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days:
- £55.00 for normal applications (minimum 3 days' notice)
- £92.00 for urgent applications (immediate placement)
You can either:
- pay when you apply, or
- we'll send you an invoice
Tacit consent to store building materials on the highway
'Tacit consent' does not apply to this application, because it's in the public interest we process your application before it can be granted.
- you can't assume we'll give you permission
- we'll contact you within 3 working days to let you know we've received your application
- if you've not heard from us within 3 working days, contact us to check your application's status