You must have a licence to put building materials on any part of the highway in York:
- application form for storing building materials on the highway
- building materials on the highway guidance notes
Please note the following conditions regarding your licence:
- 3 working days' notice is required to process your application
- if permission is required more urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge
- the building materials should not cause obstruction to other highway users
- the area used to store building materials should be coned or protected with barriers for safety
- the area must be lit during the hours of darkness
Restrictions on location of items
We will not give permission to put building materials:
- on the footway
- on the carriageway if there are double yellow lines
Items placed without permission
If we find building materials on the road or grass verge without permission, we will contact the owner of the adjacent property and ask them to remove the materials, or apply for permission.
Cost of licence
£49 for normal applications (minimum 3 days' notice) to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days
£85 for urgent applications (immediate placement) to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days
You can pay at the time of application, otherwise you will receive an invoice.
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 3 working days please contact us to check the status of your application