To help you with your application, see our Building materials on the highway guidance notes.
Please note the following conditions regarding your licence:
- 3 working days' notice is required to process your application
- if permission is required more urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge
- the building materials should not cause obstruction to other highway users
- the area used to store building materials should be coned or protected with barriers for safety
- the area must be lit during the hours of darkness
Restrictions on storing building materials on the highway
We will not give permission to put building materials:
- on the footway
- on the carriageway if there are double yellow lines
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you about your application within 3 working days
- if you've not heard from us within 3 working days, contact our Traffic Management team to check the status of your application
Cost of licence for storing building materials on the highway
£47.50 for normal applications (minimum 3 days' notice) to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days
£82.50 for urgent applications (immediate placement) to store building materials on the road or grass verge for up to 14 days
You can pay at the time of application, otherwise you will receive an invoice.
Building materials on the highway without permission
If we find building materials on the road or grass verge without permission, we will contact the owner of the adjacent property and ask them to remove the materials, or apply for permission.