You can apply for a hoarding licence, which entitles you to place any temporary hoarding or fencing on the road, footway or grass verge for up to 28 days:
- we require a minimum of 5 working days notice to investigate and process your application
- if your hoarding reduces the width of the footway to less than 1.2m, a temporary footway must be provided
- if a temporary footway is placed on an adjacent carriageway, you will need to provide traffic management measures
- where a temporary footway is not possible, you may need to apply for a footway closure
- you must supply all relevant details with your application
For more information contact our Highway Licensing Team.
Paying for a hoarding licence
- a hording licence costs £91 for 28 days
- subsequent periods of 1 to 28 days will be charged at £59
- if you require a hoarding licence urgently, a late application costs an additional £36 (£127 for the first 28 days in total)
- we will issue a 'defect notice' if a hoarding does not meet the standards described in our licence terms and conditions; in these circumstances you must rectify the fault and pay an additional £75
Please do not send payment with your application. We will send an invoice to the applicant for the cost of the licence. You can then pay your invoice online.
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
We may be unable to give permission for a hoarding to be placed at your requested location so tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 5 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 5 working days please contact us to check the status of your application