Apply for a hoarding licence to place any temporary hoarding or fencing on the road, footway or grass verge, for up to 28 days.
Complete a hoarding licence application form and read our scaffolding and hoarding licence terms and conditions.
- we require a minimum of 5 working days' notice to process your application
- if your hoarding reduces the width of the footway to less than 1.2m, you must provide a temporary footway
- if a temporary footway is placed on an adjacent carriageway, you'll need to provide traffic management measures
- you may need to apply for a footway closure if a temporary footway isn't possible
You must supply all relevant details with your application - contact our Highway Licensing Team for more information.
Hoarding licence costs
- a hording licence costs £120 for 28 days
- subsequent periods of 1 to 28 days will be charged at £60
- a late application costs an additional £37 (£157 for the first 28 days in total)
- we'll issue a 'defect notice' if a hoarding does not meet required standards (described in our scaffolding and hoarding licence terms and conditions)
- in the case of 'defective' hoarding, you must rectify it and pay an additional £77
We'll send you an invoice for the licence.
Tacit consent for hoarding licences
'Tacit consent' does not apply to this application, because it's in the public interest we process your application before it can be granted.
- you can't assume we'll give you permission
- we'll contact you within 5 working days to let you know we've received your application
- if you've not heard from us within 5 working days, contact us to check your application's status