If you are the organiser of a car boot sale to which the public have access without paying an entry fee you will need to apply to us for Street Trading Consent (car boot sales).
Apply for street trading consent
Complete the Street Trading Consent (car boot sales) form and return it to our Licensing Services team.
Please make sure you include payment with your application, making cheques payable to "City of York Council".
If you wish to pay by debit or credit card, call Licensing Services.
Things you need to know:
- as the organiser you will be issued with the consent and you will hold it for all non professional traders
- if you are a professional trader attending the event you must initially seek permission from the organiser and apply to us for your own trading consent
- if you are a market trader you are not allowed to trade at a car boot sale and you cannot sell new goods which have been bought for retail
- if you are the organiser of an occasional car boot sale you must apply to us for a street trading consent at least 7 days before the sale is to take place
- if you are organising regular sales you must apply at least 28 days in advance. You also need to notify Trading Standards at least 21 days before you wish to hold a sale
Cost of street trading consent
You will need consent to cover all non-professional traders. Fees are based on the number of traders at the sale. If you are unsure of the number of traders who will attend, the fees can be adjusted after the event.
Find out more about fees for Street Trading Consent for car boot sales licences.