We're a member of North Yorkshire Home Choice, a choice based lettings (CBL) scheme for allocating council and housing association homes for rent, and shared ownership properties for sale. The housing register is used to:

  • make allocations to housing stock we own
  • provide nominations to rented and low-cost ownership housing owned by housing associations

You can choose from properties throughout the 'local authority' areas of:

  • Craven
  • Hambleton
  • Richmondshire
  • Ryedale
  • Scarborough
  • Selby
  • York

If you wish to apply for a council property in York, contact the Housing Registrations Team. We'll discuss your housing options and how best to proceed, taking into account:

  • your circumstances
  • your eligibility to be placed on the register
  • which area and type of property you need

We'll then refer to our property booklet to give you an idea of how long you may be waiting to be rehoused. You can also find out more about how we prioritise applications for council properties.

Once you have registered with us, you will receive a letter confirming that your application has been processed. It will confirm the types of properties you can bid for; you can then start bidding for properties.

Council properties are mostly for ‘social rent’. Housing associations around York also provide ‘affordable rent’ and ‘intermediate market rent’. Find more information about affordable home rental.

New and existing council tenants who want to move home need to pay rent in advance before they can sign a tenancy agreement. If you're 'bidding' for properties via North Yorkshire Home Choice, get your rent ready or your offer of a property could be withdrawn.

Also see

Comment on this page