York's Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE) was established in 1996 as required by the 1988 Education Reform Act.
It is composed of 4 representative groups:
- Christian denominations, other than Church of England, and representatives of other faiths
- the local Church of England
- teachers' associations
SACRE meets termly and for the presentation of the Annual Report in December.
Religious education syllabus
Religious Education (RE) is not part of the National Curriculum but must be taught in schools by law. The syllabus must be produced locally and is known as the 'Agreed Syllabus'. York's Agreed Syllabus was revised and launched in July 2016 but cannot be made available on this website for copyright reasons; please email email@example.com if you require further details.
SACREs are legally responsible to advise Local Education Authorities (LAs) on RE teaching and collective worship and ensuring compliance to these. The Agreed Syllabus must legally be reviewed every 5 years and the LA has to arrange an Agreed Syllabus Conference to facilitate this; this involves the same groupings as a SACRE.
York SACRE's aims
York SACRE aims to:
- promote a high quality Agreed Syllabus
- help teachers and schools raise standards in the quality of RE teaching
- help schools improve the quality of collective worship
- contribute towards social cohesion, particularly in respect of improving religious and racial harmony within the community
View our guidelines on collective worship below:
- Collective Worship Guidance 2017
- Appendix 1: Collective Worship Model Policy
- Appendix 2: Collective Worship Determination Guidance
- Appendix 3: Collective Worship Themes
- Appendix 4:Self Evaluation of Collective Worship in York
York SACRE meetings
York's SACRE usually meets in West Offices, but on occasion, also in schools.
York SACRE will meet on the following dates in 2018:
- 14 March 2018
- 12 July 2018
Members of the public are welcome to attend meetings from 4.30pm to 6.00pm.
York SACRE membership
Members are currently as follows:
- Chair: Shabana Jabbar, Head of RE, York High School
- LA Strategic Lead: Mike Jory
- Councillors: Jenny Brooks (Con), Tina Funnell (Lab), Chris Cullwick (Lib Dem), Lars Kramm (Green)
- Church of England: Olivia Seymour, Assistant Director, Diocese of York; Janet Dunn, Heworth CE Primary School; vacant
- Teachers: Tracey Copestake, Bootham School; Claire Hennigan, Yearsley Grove Primary School; Jenny Mooney, Westfield Primary School; appointment pending
- Bahai'i: Daryoush Mazloum
- Humanist: Ian Hodgson
- Jewish: appointment pending
- Muslim: Bilal Banda
- Salvation Army: vacant
- Sikh: Avtar Matharu