Skip hire companies are responsible for obtaining a 'skip permit' or 'skip licence'. They must complete a skip licence application form for permission to put a skip on the road or grass verge.
Permits are needed for:
- 'hippobags' and other skip bags
You don't need a skip licence to put a skip on private land.
We require 3 working days' notice to process skip permit applications. If you require a skip more urgently, we can arrange immediate permission for an extra charge.
Skip permit restrictions
Please note that your skip should:
- be lit at night
- have cones placed around it
- visibly display your licence (for example, the ground floor window of an adjacent property)
- not be placed on the footway (except in exceptional circumstances)
- not be placed on double yellow lines
- not cause a highway obstruction
Skip permit costs
We'll charge the skip company:
- £55 for 1 to 14 days
- £55 for an additional 1 to 14 days
- an additional £37 if 3 days' notice is not given (£92 in total)
If we find a skip on the road or grass verge without a permit:
- we'll contact the skip company
- they'll be required to apply for a permit or remove the skip immediately
- we'll invoice a penalty charge of £99 (this is in addition to the permit cost)
Any skip found on the road or grass verge without lights, cones or breaching any other licence conditions will result in an extra charge of £26.
We invoice the skip company at the end of each month for all incurred costs.
How we process your application
We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.
In this case:
- you can't assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.
If you haven't heard from us within 3 working days, please contact us to check the status of your application.