Getting out and about
As part of the Age Friendly York project we're looking at getting out and about in York, focusing on:
We've also pulling together information about bench locations in York.
Age Friendly York: Your Journey
We're looking at transport around York, and whether it's:
- reliable, well-maintained and clean
- accessible, with priority seating, easy to board, not overcrowded
- staffed with courteous, helpful drivers, who wait for passengers to be seated
Whether transport routes are well set out, with:
- shelters available at pick up points
- services which reach all parts of York with good connections
- good traffic flow on established routes
Whether pedestrians' needs are considered, with:
- well maintained, well lit footpaths, free of obstructions
- non-slip pavements, wide enough for wheelchairs, with dropped curbs to road level
- pavements reserved for pedestrians, separate from cycle paths
- sufficient pedestrian crossings, safe for different types of disability
Age Friendly York: Your Destination
We're also looking at whether York offers:
- clean and pleasant public areas and green spaces
- conveniently located, accessible venues
- sufficient, well maintained outdoor seating
- sufficient, well maintained, clean, accessible toilets
Finding bench locations in York
Many of you tell us you need somewhere to sit down and rest your legs whilst out and about, so the availability of well-maintained benches in useful locations is important.
Check bench locations on a map; select ;'seats' within the 'street care' section.
Age Friendly York has been working with Home Instead who have agreed to lead on launching Take A Seat+.
As of April 2022 40 businesses have already signed up to offer a seat or a toilet to those that need one, without having to be a paying customer.
Take A Seat+ and the Age Friendly benches are marked on the Centre Disabled Access Map.