Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Environment and animals

Community Protection Notice

Police officers and designated council officers, such as our Neighbourhood Enforcement Officers, can issue a 'Community Protection Notice' (CPN) to combat anti-social behaviour, such as:

  • littering
  • dog fouling
  • unsightly properties
  • noise

A CPN can be issued to any individual over the age of 16, business, or organisation whose conduct is:

  • having a detrimental effect on the quality of life in the local community
  • persistent
  • unreasonable

A written 'Community Protection Warning' (CPW) must be issued before a CPN can be issued.

A CPN will be issued if the CPW is not effective.

Receiving a Community Protection Warning (CPW)

An officer will issue a CPW if they believe that your behaviour is having a detrimental impact on the local community.

The CPW should make clear:

  • what that behaviour is
  • what you should do to change it

You can contact the officer who issued the warning and discuss it with them if anything is unclear.

The officer will monitor the situation to see if the behaviour stops. If it does, then no further action will be taken.

Receiving a Community Protection Notice (CPN)

An officer will issue a CPN if they have secured evidence to show that behaviour highlighted in the CPW is continuing.

They will also measure if the behaviour is:

  • persistent
  • unreasonable
  • having a detrimental effect on the quality of life in the local community

We will set out one or more requirements clearly in the CPN.

It may ask that you:

  • stop doing specified things
  • do specified things
  • take reasonable steps to achieve specified objectives

The authorised officer will then continue to monitor the situation. If the requirements of the CPN are kept, then no further action will be taken.

Breaching a Community Protection Notice

Breaching a CPN is a criminal offence. If appropriate, a Fixed Penalty Notice can be issued.

Find out what happens when you receive an FPN and how to pay an FPN.

Read more about Fixed Penalty Notices on GOV.UK.

Also see

Neighbourhood Enforcement Team

Community Safety Hub, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551555