- Address and contact details
Gale Farm Court
Telephone: 01904 552298
- Local amenities
Gale Farm Court is situated on Front Street, Acomb. It is a sheltered housing with extra care scheme.
Acomb has a small shopping area located around Front Street, Acomb Road and some adjacent roads. Free car parking is available at the local Morrison’s supermarket. Businesses are a mixture of traditional local food retailers, including greengrocers, familiar high street brands, major banking chains and professional services such as accountants, dentists and architects. There are also a number of public houses, cafés, small restaurants and take-away food outlets in the area.
Situated not too far from Gale Farm Court is Acomb Green, a grassed area with a park, pleasant café and a public house. Behind The Green is Acomb Sports and Social Club, which is home to Acomb Cricket Club and Acomb Hockey Club.
West Bank Park is situated just off Acomb Road and is 15 minutes away. It boasts a mature woodland and former arboretum at the end of the park.
Energise Gym is five minutes away and you can enjoy a nice leisurely swim or make use of the gym area with the latest equipment. You can book classes from high intensity to Zumba Gold, a dance exercise aimed at the over 50’s, which is good fun and enjoyable
The award winning Acomb Explore Library is situated on Front Street and this local hub has much to offer including:
- Free internet access and Wi-Fi
- Café Explore
- Colour photocopying facilities
- DVD Rentals
- Adult Education courses including computing, languages, alternative therapies and more
- Reading groups
Acomb Methodist church is also on Front Street just a short walk away. The principal parish church for Acomb is St Stephens located on Acomb Green.
The local GP surgery is Gale Farm Surgery, on Front Street.
There is also a regular bus service into Acomb and into York city centre, with buses running every 10 minutes.
For up-to-date information about local bus routes see the iTravel York website.
There are 18 one and two-bedroom flats in the main building, and a further 18 flats attached to the main building.
The main building has access to all floors by lift and stairs (with stair lifts).
All flats are centrally heated and have a telephone point and television socket, their own kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room area.
Some of the flats have balconies. Tenants of all flats have use of communal facilities.
All the flats are connected to the community alarm system.
The building is fully covered by a fire alarm system with smoke detectors in all corridors. Each flat is fitted with a heat detector.
Outside there is a pleasant enclosed garden with seating areas, and a further garden area at the rear of the building.
There is limited parking space for tenants.
- Comfortable seating area in the main foyer
- Communal lounge – it has a high ceiling with beams, comfortable seating area and well-stocked books
- Pleasant dining area within the lounge
- Well-equipped communal kitchen
- Well-equipped laundry facilities - this is included in your rent and is available to use throughout the day
- Assisted bathroom for those who require more help than the bathing facilities in their flats allow (This can be provided if a care package is needed)
- Buggy store and charging area
- Comfortable small seating area
- Hairdressing salon - the salon can be used by individual tenants or we have a hairdresser that comes in to use the salon on an appointment basis
- Computer room – this is available to tenants in the scheme
The Personal Support Service has care onsite who provide planned care for those who require it. You will need a social care assessment to access the Personal Support Service.
A range of social activities take place in the communal lounge area, and we encourage tenants to set up new activities and groups according to your interests. Please contact the Housing Management Officer if you want to find out what is going on at the moment.
- Tenant meetings
Tenants' meetings are held every two months so tenants can share ideas and thoughts on how to help make sure Gale Farm Court suits the needs of everyone.
Gale Farm Court is in the area covered by Gale Farm Residents' Association, who meet regularly in the Gale Farm Court community room. All tenants are welcome to attend these meetings.