- Address and contact details
St Benedict's Road
Telephone: 01904 552297
- Local amenities
Barstow House is situated within sight of the city walls, just off Nunnery Lane. It is a sheltered housing with extra care scheme.
Clementhorpe has been ranked in ninth place in The Times top 30 of the coolest places to live (2013), and likened to Notting Hill.
Bishopthorpe Road has an array of continental cafés and restaurants, delis, butchers, supermarkets, hardware shop, fish and chip shop, dry cleaners and a chemist.
There is an amazing feel of community spirit around the local area and we often have visits from the two local schools to assist us with our entertainment and social events.
The local GP surgery is Clementhorpe Health Centre, on Cherry Street.
We are approximately 15 minutes walking distance from the city centre and 10 minutes walk from Rowntree Park.
There is a regular bus service from Bishopthorpe Road shops, which can take you directly into the city centre.
For up-to-date information about local bus routes see the iTravel York website.
There are 32 flats on 3 floors, with the majority having one bedroom.
There is access to the first and second floors by lift and stairs (with stair lifts). The lift is suitable for people who use wheelchairs.
Each flat is well-equipped and has central heating which is included in your rent, a fully fitted kitchen, a fitted bathroom with either a shower or a bath, telephone and television points, including cable channels.
Two of the flats have two bedrooms, and three flats on the ground floor are specially adapted for tenants with disabilities. One of these also has two bedrooms.
Some flats are fitted with level access showers, which are suitable for wheelchair users, while other flats have baths.
Assisted bathrooms are provided on the ground and first floors. These are specially designed so that less mobile tenants can enjoy a bath. One bathroom has assisted lifting equipment. (This can be provided if a care package is needed).
The Personal Support Service has care on-site who provide planned care for those who require it. You will need a social care assessment to access the Personal Support Service.
All flats are connected to the community alarm system.
- Community room – where people can come and meet other tenants and have a chat, relax and have a tea or coffee
- There is also a dining area situated towards the back of the lounge for the scheme lunches
- Hairdressing salon – the salon can be used by individual tenants or we have a hairdresser that comes in to use the salon on an appointment basis
- Laundry room – this is included in your rent and is available to use throughout the day. Currently it has three washing machines and two dryers, which are serviced regularly
- Buggy store and charging area
- Meeting room – this is available on the first floor and tenants can speak to the scheme manager to book if they require this
- Gym – on the second floor there is a small room that looks onto the city’s bar walls and can be used at any time. It has a variety of equipment to cater for each tenant's individual needs. Please speak to the scheme manager if you would like to use the gym
- Guest bedroom – this can be booked by tenants for their family and friends to use at a small charge. It has a small double bed and an en-suite shower room. A kettle is provided to make hot drinks
A range of social activities take place in the communal lounge area, and we encourage tenants to set up new activities and groups according to your interests. Please contact the Housing Management Officer if you want to find out what is going on at the moment.
- Tenant meetings
Tenants' meetings are held every two months so tenants can share ideas and thoughts on how to make sure that Barstow House suits the needs of everyone.
Barstow House is in the area covered by Nunnery Residents' Association. They meet at 6pm on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Clements Hall on Nunthorpe Road, York, YO23 1BW. All tenants are welcome to attend and contribute at these meetings.