Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

We control aspects of building (or structure) demolition within our area, except when buildings are exempt from such control.

Read about:

Buildings exempt from demolition control

Buildings exempt from demolition control are:

  • buildings having an external size of less than 50 cubic metres (less than the average double garage)
  • extensions on a larger building that consists of an attached conservatory, shed or garage
  • buildings used solely as agricultural buildings
  • work in occupied buildings where it is intended that it should continue to be occupied

Top of page

Demolishing a building

If you intend to demolish a building or structure that is not exempt you should give notice to our Building Control Team before any demolition work starts.

The notice must be in writing and must specify the building to be demolished. A copy of the notice should also be sent to or given to the following:

  • the occupiers of any building adjacent to the building to be demolished
  • Work Scheduling Station, British Gas
  • The electricity supplier
  • Yorkshire Water

When we receive a notification that you intend to demolish a building we can respond by 'serving a counter notice' (section 81 notice) which sets out conditions that must be met during the course of demolition.

Top of page

Starting demolition work

Demolition work should only start after either:

  • we have served a counter notice, under section 81 of the Building Act 1984
  • a period of 6 weeks has passed since we received your written notification

Top of page

Demolishing listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas

Any alteration of a listed building involving partial or complete demolition requires formal listed building consent. Unauthorised alteration is illegal and can result in prosecution.

The substantial or complete demolition of an unlisted building in a conservation area requires listed building consent.

Get advice from our Conservation Officers on whether your proposals need formal permission.

Top of page

Health and safety when demolishing a building

for Visit the Health and Safety Executive website for advice about Construction Design and Management Regulations which apply to most demolition work.

Top of page

Asbestos and demolition

If you find asbestos containing materials during demolition work you must notify the Health and Safety Executive immediately, and follow their requirements for safe removal and disposal.

Unless a skip operator or other contractor is already licensed to transport asbestos based products, a licence will be required from the Environment Agency to move any asbestos based material off site.

Top of page

Also see

Building Control

West Offices, Station Rise, York YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551333