Introductory tenancies

Introductory tenancies last for 12 months. During this time we make sure you're happy in your home and manage it well.

The trial period ends 12 months after the start of your tenancy.

If your tenancy is conducted in a satisfactory way during this time you will automatically become a secure tenant. However, if you break any rules set out in your tenancy agreement, you can be evicted.

If there are some issues that you are addressing then we may look to extend this period for a further 6 months.

The importance of introductory tenancies

We are committed to tackling anti-social behaviour and breaches of tenancy.

We're using introductory tenancies to help make sure estates are safe and pleasant places. Using introductory tenancies makes it easier to evict new tenants whose behaviour is anti-social and affects other residents' quality of life.

Rights and responsibilities

As an introductory tenant you have the same responsibilities as a secure tenant, but you do not have the same rights. If you break any rules in the tenancy agreement we will serve you with a notice and as long as we've followed our procedures the court must grant a possession order.

As an introductory tenant you must:

  • pay your weekly rent
  • keep your home and garden clean and tidy
  • respect your neighbours and not cause, or allow the cause of, a nuisance

As an introductory tenant you cannot:

  • exchange your home
  • transfer the tenancy to anyone else
  • take in lodgers
  • sublet any part of your home
  • buy your council home
  • carry out improvements to your home.

Sometimes you may be able to make small improvements to your home. However, you must get written permission from your Estate Manager before you start any work.

Reviews of your tenancy

During the trial period your Housing Management Officer will visit you to make sure every thing is going well. You will be visited after:

  • 6 weeks
  • 6 months
  • 9 months

These visits offer you support, advice and guidance on how to manage your tenancy and discuss any problems you may have.

However, we will also want to make sure your tenancy agreement has not been broken.

Information and advice

If you need more information, contact your Housing Management Officer.

If you would like independent advice you can contact the Housing Options Team, a solicitor, or any Housing Advice Centre.

You can also visit the Citizen's Advice York website for free, impartial advice.

Also see

Housing Management Officer

Find contact details for your Housing Management Officer (HMO).

Find details of your HMO