Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Health and social care

Support from age eighteen ('Preparing for Adulthood')

From 18 years old, if you need practical help because of a physical or learning disability, or sight or hearing problems, you can ask about getting adult social care to help you.

However, you may have to contribute towards the cost of your care and support as an adult. We will first discuss the type of difficulties you have and what type of help you need.

If you already receive social care services as a young person, speak to your social worker about transitions into adulthood. Our Transition Team is made up of children and adult social workers, Specialist Careers Advisers and independent travel trainers. They are based in The Zone at the front of Applefields, York’s 'special' secondary school.

If you already have a social worker from the Children’s Health and Disability Team, you may be allocated a social worker from the Adult Social Care team before you are 18. If you are 18 years old or over and you have no social care practitioner, get in touch with our Adult Social Care team.

Planning for your future

When you reach adulthood, the services we provide may change. This could mean that you’re no longer eligible for the same services, or that more services are needed to support you.

Your family and those working with you will support you to plan for the future. If you have a specialist teacher for autism they may continue to work with you until you leave education, which could be up to 25 years of age.

If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or 'My Support Plan', this will record the planning for your future. You complete the first section and we ask you to consider what is important for you for the next 3 to 5 years. Your parents and professionals will use this to help you plan your next steps. Outcomes are agreed jointly to ensure everyone works together to help you achieve your goals.

This should include plans for:

  • education
  • training
  • leisure and friendships
  • employment or volunteering
  • increased independence

The preparing for adulthood transition planning and support step-by-step process outlines what should happen and when for children aged 13 to 25 in regards to preparing for adulthood.

Also see

Ruth Horner - Preparing for Adulthood co-ordinator

Adult Social Care Community Team

Telephone: 01904 555111, Textphone: 07534 437804

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Adult Social Care Emergency Duty Team

Contact the Emergency Duty Team for assistance.

We're available between 5.00pm and 8.30am, Monday to Friday, 24 hours a day over weekends (between 5.00pm Friday until 8.30am Monday), and 24 hours on bank holidays.

Telephone: 0300 131 2131