Births, deaths and marriages

Registering a birth

Visiting York Register Office

For the safety of our staff and customers, and to help minimise the spread of coronavirus, York Register Office is currently closed to the public, other than by appointment.

Unless you have an appointment or are attending a ceremony, please do not visit in person.

See detailed information about registering a birth on GOV.UK, including who can register a birth which depends on whether the baby's parents were/weren't married or in a civil partnership at the time of the birth.

Birth registrations during the pandemic

You can book an appointment to register a birth at York Register Office, and pay in advance for certificates online. If you order your certificates at the time of booking, you will receive them at the appointment. If you do not order your certificates in advance, you will need to apply for them online after your appointment

Book an appointment online

Alternatively, or if it's more convenient you can book an appointment at Selby or Malton Register Office.

Birth declarations and re-registrations

All requests for birth declarations and/or re-registrations must be made by email to: Or you can call us to provide the necessary information over the phone.

A registrar will then call you back to arrange your appointment.

Access arrangements at York Register Office

We've adapted our offices to ensure the safety of our staff and customers.

We also ask that you keep the following arrangements in mind:

  • where baby’s natural parents were married/in a civil partnership at the date of baby’s birth, either or both parents may attend
  • where baby’s natural parents were not married/in a civil partnership at the date of baby’s birth, the mother must attend and a second parent can only be included on the registration if they also attend
  • admittance is strictly by appointment at the allocated time, we will not be able to accommodate people who are late - if you arrive early for your appointment, you may be asked to wait outside

We ask that you:

  • arrive at the back of the building, as we have a one-way system in place
  • wear a face covering if you can to help protect others
  • bring your own pen to sign the register page in black ink
  • bring photo ID with you if possible, for all parents to be named on the registration

See Register Office fees for details of costs relating to birth certificates.

Registering a birth

During your appointment to register a birth you must provide details of:

  • place and date of the birth
  • sex of the baby
  • baby's name and surname (normally the mother or father's surname; but once decided this can only be changed by re-registering a birth)
  • parents' names, surnames and address
  • places and dates of parents' birth
  • date of parents marriage or civil partnership
  • parents' jobs
  • mother's maiden surname

The following documents can help to record accurate information:

  • passports, driving licences or proof of parents' names
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
  • proof of address

If the incorrect information is recorded a fee is charged to correct the entry and produce a new certificate.

The birth will be recorded in the register and you'll be asked to carefully check and sign it.

It could cost up to £90.00 to make corrections to the register, and in some cases it won't be possible to change information recorded. Contact York Register Office if you need to amend any information recorded in the register.

Birth certificates

You can order a birth certificate at the time you book your appointment to register a birth, this states the baby's full name and date of birth alongside the parents’ details; you'll need a birth certificate for a passport application, or to open a savings account for your child.

If English is not your first language

If English is not your first language and you'd like someone to help you at your appointment to register a birth, contact us for advice.

The Government Language Line service can help you with translation, telephone: 02075 201430.

Also see

York Register Office

56 Bootham, York, YO30 7DA

Telephone: 01904 654477