Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Environment and animals

Pest control advice

Pests within a home are a nuisance and can present a health hazard.

We do not offer pest control services, but there are a number of resources and organisations who may be able to assist you if you need to deal with a pest problem.

Pest control advice for householders

You can treat most common pests yourself using:

  • powders
  • sprays
  • foams

You can also deal with vermin such as mice and rats by using traps.

These products are widely available from supermarkets, garden centres, hardware stores and chemists.

If you have issues with bees, York Beekeepers may be able to collect the swarms for you. York Beekeepers will only collect honey bee swarms. Before contacting them, you first need to check that the swarm is accessible and consists of honey bees and not wasps or bumble bees.

The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) provides an A to Z of pests with advice on how to deal with different insects and animals.

Pest control for tenants

If you're renting in the private sector and are concerned about pests, contact your landlord.

If you're a council tenant, in most circumstances you will be responsible for your own pest control arrangements. For further advice or clarification contact your Housing Management Officer. You can find details of how to contact your HMO via your Open Housing account.

Dealing with pests safely

When treating pests yourself, make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions and Health and Safety best practice at all times.

Pesticides are poisonous, so make sure you:

  • avoid ingestion, inhalation or contact with skin
  • keep children and animals away from sprayed areas until completely dry, and away from solid bait
  • do not use pesticides on food preparation surfaces or in food cupboards

Pest control organisations

When choosing a pest controller, make sure you use a reputable service provider.

The BPCA can help you find a pest controller which follows their code of conduct.

If bait is used, your pest controller will need to visit a few times to inspect the bait and keep it topped up. They should also carry out a final inspection once the programme is complete to ensure no bait is left behind.

If rodent poisons are used, your pest controller should carry out an environmental assessment to consider the possible threats to wildlife and domestic animals. Find out more about responsible use of poisons by visiting Think Wildlife.

Also see

Waste, Highways and Environmental Services

Telephone: 01904 551551