Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Help with Mortgages and Universal Credit

To get this help you will need to provide evidence of your mortgage or loan. This could be:

  • a mortgage agreement
  • a current mortgage statement
  • a loan agreement, or
  • bank statements showing the payment of the mortgage or loans

Help with mortgage payments or loans is provided as a loan. You will only be asked to pay back this loan if the property it was claimed for is sold or transferred to someone else. You can choose to pay the loan back early if you wish.

The Department for Work and Pensions will check your evidence before paying Universal Credit housing costs. Any delays in providing this evidence may mean delays in your Universal Credit housing costs being paid.

The amount you receive will depend on the amount of your outstanding mortgage or loans. It is calculated using a standard interest rate, and it is usually paid straight to the bank, building society or lender. You will be notified of your Universal Credit housing costs amount and payments through your online account.

You can only get help with mortgage payments if you have been claiming Universal Credit for 39 weeks or more, with no breaks or earned income in that time. Earned income can include earnings from paid work or, for example, statutory sick pay or tax rebates.

If you have moved to Universal Credit within one month of another benefit ending, time spent on the first benefit counts towards the 39 weeks.

It is important to understand that you will not be eligible for help with mortgage payments on your own home if you receive earned income. If you start receiving earned income whilst you are getting help with mortgage payments, this help will stop.

If you have a break in your claim or receive earned income you will need to claim Universal Credit for a further 39 weeks with no breaks or earned income before you can receive help with mortgage payments.

Read more about support for mortgage interest.

Also see