To apply for a taxi driver's licence, you must have held a full Driving Standards Agency (DSA) driving licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
You can apply at any time of year, however, there is no reduction for licences issued part way through the year.
Applications normally take 6 to 8 weeks to process, depending on:
- how long your Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check takes to process
- how long you take to pass the written knowledge test
See further information about current taxi licence fees and charges.
Taxi drivers' licence application process
If you're a new taxi driver and wish to apply for your taxi driver's licence, you should:
- read the taxi driver application guidance notes
- read the Taxi Licensing Policy
- complete and pass a private hire or hackney carriage driving assessment from either: Blue Trust or Green Penny (please note that Green Penny also provides a wheelchair assessment)
- complete the appropriate taxi driver and vehicle licence application forms
- arrange an appointment with our Taxi Licensing Team
During your appointment with our Taxi Licensing Team, you'll need to:
- submit your DSA pass certificate and taxi driver's licence application form together
- present your original driving licence (not a copy)
- provide 2 recent passport photos
- complete a DBS 'disclosure form'
- provide identity documents (we'll tell you which are acceptable when you arrange your appointment)
- pay the DBS disclosure form fee (by bank card)
How we process your application
We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.
In this case:
- you can't assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 28 days to acknowledge receipt of your application
You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.
If you haven't heard from us within 28 days, please contact us to check the status of your application.
Taxi drivers' safeguarding and knowledge training
As part of the application process, you'll need to attend a training day, designed to help applicants in their new role as a licensed driver. The training day ends with a written test on the topics covered as well as routes in York, locations and places of interest.
Preparing for your taxi knowledge course
We strongly recommend the taxi knowledge course for anyone wishing to apply to become a taxi driver in York.
It's not compulsory, but is designed to help you:
- understand the requirements of being a taxi driver in York
- prepare for your Knowledge and Safeguarding test
- familiarise yourself with pedestrian zones and routes around York
Book a place and confirm fees by contacting our Work Development Unit (WDU):
Download the following documents to help you prepare for your test:
Further training information is also available within our taxi driver application guidance notes.
Taxi drivers' medical exams
You'll be required to undertake a medical to DVLA Group 2 medical standard - our Taxi Licensing Team will provide you with a form.
Disclosure and Barring Service checks
For DBS checks, contact the DBS directly:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone: 0300 020 0190
For current DBS check fees, see other taxi licensing fees and charges.
Taxi licence renewals
Taxi driver licences are renewed annually:
- 'hackney carriage' licences are review on 1 June
- 'private hire' licences are reviewed on 1 November
Find out more about renewal of hackney carriage and private hire drivers' licences.