Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Travel and transport

Disabled person's bus pass

You can apply for a disabled person's bus pass if you:

  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are registered blind (severely sight impaired) or partially sighted (sight impaired)
  • are without speech
  • have a disability that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • would have your application to drive a motor vehicle refused due to physical fitness (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol)

A disabled person's bus pass (issued free of charge) entitles you to free local bus travel throughout England, subject to morning peak-time and other restrictions.

Find out more about renewing your disabled person's bus pass and lost and stolen bus passes.

Proof of your disability

As part of your application, one of the following documents may be accepted as proof of your disability:

  • a photocopy of your Blue Badge parking permit (or the badge's reference number)
  • a photocopy of your Certificate of Vision Impairment
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Disability Living Allowance (higher/middle rate care component, or higher rate mobility component)
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Personal Independence Payments (enhanced/standard daily living rate, or enhanced mobility rate) stating the rate and timescale of your payments
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Severe Disablement Allowance
  • a photocopy of your entitlement under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (tariff 1-8)
  • a photocopy of your entitlement to Veteran's Constant Attendance Allowance (full day rate, intermediate rate or exceptional rate)
  • a letter from a registered medical professional, which clearly states that you have one of the qualifying disabilities listed above (please use the request for medical evidence form)

Companion entitlement

For people with more severe disabilities, your bus pass can include a 'companion' who can travel with you free of charge throughout York and North Yorkshire. The companion entitlement is also valid only on cross-boundary journeys between York and other areas of Yorkshire and the Humber, such as the East Riding of Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Hull. This means, for example, your companion can travel free between York and Leeds, but not on local journeys within Leeds.

You can apply for 'companion entitlement' if you are in receipt of:

To qualify for free travel, your companion must board and leave the bus at the same stops as you.

Bus pass hotlisting

We'll electronically cancel your bus pass and 'hotlist' it if it's no longer valid for travel.

There are a number of reasons why a bus pass may be cancelled:

  • if you've previously reported your pass as lost or stolen and it has been replaced - make sure you use only your most recent pass and destroy any older ones
  • if we've contacted you requesting proof of continued eligibility and you've not provided it
  • if your pass has been used inappropriately, for example by a family member or friend

If a hotlisted pass is presented for travel, it will be rejected by the pass reader as it's not a valid card. You'll be asked to pay the fare for your journey and will have to hand over your bus pass, to be returned to us. This is to reduce the number of cancelled passes in circulation.

If you believe you are still eligible for free travel, please contact the Concessionary Bus Passes Team as soon as possible.

You'll need to pay for travel until you receive your replacement bus pass.

Also see

Concessionary bus passes

FREEPOST RTEG-TYYU-KLTZ, City of York Council, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551670

Concessionary bus pass appointments

To get bus pass advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.

Make an appointment