Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Births, deaths and marriages

If a death has occurred abroad

The death of a loved one is a distressing time, and the thought of registering the death and making funeral arrangements can be daunting. If the deceased was not a resident of the country in which they died, this process can seem all the more complicated, especially where it is the wish of the family that the deceased be returned to their home country.

All deaths must be registered in the country in which they occur.

Death overseas

A tour guide, the local police or the British Consul can advise you on how to register the death and make arrangements for a local funeral or repatriating the deceased to the UK. The British Consul can also help if you need assistance communicating in a foreign language.

The death of a foreign national in England and Wales

There is no restriction on moving bodies within England and Wales, but you need to notify the coroner for the district in which the body is lying if you want to move the deceased to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, or overseas.

The death must be registered in the usual way, but before attending the Register Office, you must contact the Coroner's Office to make them aware that you wish to move the body abroad. The Coroner's Office will guide you through what needs to be done and what documents will be required in order to allow the body to be moved out of the country.

You may contact the York Coroner's Office either directly or through your funeral director.

Once the documentation is received the coroner will contact you, usually within four days, to let you know when the body can be moved.

Also see

York Area Coroner's Service

Mr Jon Heath (Acting Senior Coroner for the York Area)

c/o North Yorkshire County Council, 21 Grammar School Lane, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 1DF

Telephone: 01609 533843

York Register Office

56 Bootham, York, YO30 7DA

Telephone: 01904 654477