Our customer centre is responsible for all ‘first point of contact’ with you. We're committed to providing excellent service regardless of how you choose to contact us.
Our staff will:
- always wear a name badge or tell you who you are speaking to
- provide their service in a courteous, responsive and timely manner irrespective of age, gender, cultural/religious background, disability, sexual orientation or need
- inform you how long you can expect to wait if you have requested the use of a Council Service
- where applicable, tell you of any associated costs with the Council Service you have requested
- have the right skills and behaviours to deal with your enquiry
- answer your telephone call within 20 seconds
- speak to you within 10 minutes of your arrival at our office
- respond to your email by close of business the following working day
- call you back by close of business the following working day if you have left a message on our ‘out of hours’ voicemail facility
- apologise if you did not receive a response to your enquiry within given time frames
Information on how many customers we've helped is displayed at our reception points.
Help us to help you
To help us deal with your enquiry, we ask that you:
- are courteous to our staff at all times
- treat everyone with respect regardless of how you contact us, including via social media
- help us to keep our environment safe and welcoming when you visit
- tell us in a timely manner when things go wrong
- provide additional information in a timely manner, if requested
Helping you with Council Tax and Benefits
- explaining any legal requirements in a plain, simple to understand language and in a format of your choice, including in languages other than English
- making clear what are legal requirements and what are recommendations or good practice
- providing a written response where appropriate or if requested
- providing you with guidance leaflets or other information
Ongoing service improvement
If things go wrong or we fail to meet expectations, we want you to tell us. All of your feedback, including comments, compliments and complaints is important to us.
If we receive feedback we will:
- forward general comments to related service areas to help inform them of any improvements they can make in the future
- tell individuals you have complimented them on their service
- ensure details of your complaint (including your expected outcome) are passed to the relevant service area who will be responsible for contacting you within 5 working days (subject to the 3-stage complaint policy)
Read more about our Corporate Complaints policy.