All domestic properties are placed in a 'band' for Council Tax purposes. There are eight standard bands, ranging from the lowest, band A, to the highest, band H.

There is also a special band referred to as band AR. Properties within band A may be placed in band AR if they qualify for a council tax discount for people with disabilities.

check your council tax band

Challenging your council tax band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for deciding which band applies to your property. The VOA is an executive agency, sponsored by HM Revenues and Customs.

If you think your property is in the wrong tax band, you can challenge your band by contacting the VOA.

If your property is within valuation band A, it cannot be reduced further by the VOA.

When pursuing any council tax banding enquiries or disputes, you must continue to pay your council tax on time, otherwise you may default and face recovery action.

Also see

Comment on this page