We keep the Schools Business Support Privacy Notice under review. It was last reviewed and updated in June 2020.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
We collect and use the following personal data:
- your personal data including name, telephone number and email address
- booking information for and participation in courses including on MyLO
- your workplace and type of work
- your manager and their contact details if applicable
- any additional information that's necessary for us to assess and provide you with the service you require (including disability requirements)
See further details about how we define personal data and non-personal data.
Collecting personal data
Your personal data is collected via:
- information you provide via email enquiries sent to email@example.com
- your workplace manager
- post, email and telephone conversations made as appropriate
When we ask you for personal data, we'll:
- ensure you know why we need it
- only ask for what is necessary for the work we're undertaking
- store it securely
- ensure your data is only shared with authorised individuals
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- inform us of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you
Using personal data
We'll use your personal data to:
- reply to emails and offer advice and guidance on Finance and School Business
- contact you about any bookings, meetings or changes to arrangements for school briefings
- notify you of charges, either invoiced or journalled for school business support, and training
- send news bulletin and important updates by email
- record attendance at training and finance briefings
Our legal basis for collecting and sharing personal data
The data you provide to the School Business Support team enables us to:
- provide entry level finance support
- provide training opportunities
- send essential updates by email
- send weekly term time news bulletins
- arrange school business briefings
The data you give us ensures that we can provide updates as required on essential deadlines for you.
For external customers (not employed by the council), we'll use your personal data because you are asking us to do something on your behalf. We may not be able to do what you have asked us to do if you don't provide us with your personal data to use as described in this privacy notice.
In some cases we may need to use your personal data to ensure that we're complying with our legal obligations, or where we are entering into a contract with you for a service.
Sharing personal data
Where necessary, we'll share data about your email enquiries and attendance at briefings or training with your:
- training provider (MyLO)
Trainers (City of York Council staff, or staff in partner agencies employed to deliver training, or people contracted via a commercial training organisation) will have access to:
- the names of delegates who have booked, cancelled or are waiting for places on the courses they deliver
- the name of their workplace
- their contact email addresses
We will not share your personal data with another organisation or third party other than those set out in this privacy notice without your consent.
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
Retaining personal data
We're committed to ensuring that your personal data is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access to files, electronic restrictions are in place to ensure that only employees who need the information to perform a specific task are given access to your personal details.
General contact details and records, including your profile information, are kept on the system for 1 year after you have left your school.
At the end of the retention period, we may pass any relevant information to the City Archives where it is required or appropriate to do so.
Transferring personal data abroad
As a rule, we do not transfer your personal data to third party processors outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
However, for as long as the provisions of the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020/392 remain in effect, we'll be hosting public virtual meetings and we are currently using Zoom Pro or Business version of Zoom to host meetings (version 5) for that purpose.
Where meetings are recorded, recordings will be kept locally on our server and will not be retained by Zoom.
Some personal data will be stored securely on Zoom’s system in the USA (that is, outside the EEA) in compliance with the EU, USA Privacy Shield Framework. This data may include a user's:
- email address
- telephone number where applicable
- IP address
- MAC address
- other device ID (UDID)
- device type
- operating system type and version
- client version
- type of camera, microphone or speakers
- connection type
Zoom does not sell personal data to third parties; collects only the personal data required to provide Zoom services; and retains that data only for so long as is necessary for the provision of those services.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
You will not receive unsolicited paper or electronic mail as a result of sending us any personal data while using our service, unless you have given us permission to do this.
Your rights relating to personal data
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.