We created this privacy notice in May 2022 and will keep it under review. When we use your personal data, City of York Council (CYC) complies with data protection legislation, and is the registered ‘Controller’. Our data protection notification is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – reference Z5809563.
Why is information being collected?
Local Area Coordinators help you stay safe, well, independent and connected to your local community by:
- helping raise awareness of available resources
- providing links to local services
- supporting people with a wide range of issues
- developing resilience and social inclusion in communities
Local Area Coordinators work with individuals and families of all ages and abilities. They take time to get to know you, your family, friends, carers and your community, so they can help you to build a strong support network.
When we collect your personal information
We collect different kinds of information about you, depending on the support or advice you want from us and/or the reason why we need the information relating to you. This could be personal information (for example your name and address), or other more sensitive data.
- only ask you for the information that is necessary
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary
We ask that you:
- give us information which is true and precise
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you
How will we use the information about you?
Depending on the service you have requested or need, we may use your information to:
- help you to be independent and to stay safe
- judge whether there is any risk to your wellbeing in line with our Safeguarding Adults and Safeguarding Children duties.
- arrange any necessary urgent support you may need to keep you safe.
- give you information, advice and guidance to help you connect with other support services or communities.
- introduce you to other support services.
- seek professional advice about your housing needs and to make recommendations to support your rehousing application.
- offer you support which closely matches your needs and desired outcomes.
- carry out our obligations from any shared agreements you have entered into with us.
- tell you of changes to our services.
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest.
- evaluate the service or for research purposes to better understand the impact of services.
- fulfil our legal obligations under relevant legislation including:
- the Children Act 1989
- the Family Law Act 1996
- the Human Rights Act 1998
- the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006
- the Mental Health Act 2007
- the Forced Marriage (Civil Protection) Act 2007
- the Health and Social Care Act 2008
- the Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service complaints (England) regulations 2009
- the Autism Act 2009, the Equality Act 2010
- the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
- the Care Act 2014
- the Children and Families Act 2014
- the Children and Social Work Act 2017
- and contained in the regulations and guidance that sit behind them.
When will we share your personal information?
The information you provide may be shared with other departments in the Council such as benefits, council tax, Housing, etc., to support your applications and / or to make sure that you are receiving the right amount and kind of support or benefit.
The information you provide may be shared with other external organisations with your consent, and as part of your shared agreement, to apply for or check that you are receiving the right amount and kind of support or benefit.
The information we gather may be used as part of the evaluation of our service, or for research purposes, to better understand the impact of Local Area Coordination. As such, we may share information with other Council teams and authorised third parties for these purposes. Wherever possible, we will ensure you can never be identified in our reports, for example we would change your name if your story is recorded.
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your clear consent, e.g. if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as law enforcement, fraud or tax investigations, regulation and licensing, criminal prosecutions and court proceedings.
We will not sell or rent your information to third parties. We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
What is our legal basis for processing your personal information?
Our legal basis for collecting and using your information is because you have asked us for a service or you need a service from us or you have agreed that we can share your information with other external organisations.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We will keep your information only for as long as is necessary and then we will delete or destroy it securely.
Where required or appropriate to, at the end of the retention period, we will pass onto the City Archives any relevant information.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
To find out about your rights under data protection law, visit the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
You can also find information about your rights by visiting our Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, want to exercise your rights, or if you have a complaint about how your information has been used, please contact us at email@example.com or on 01904 554145 or write to:
Data Protection Officer
City of York Council