We created this privacy notice in November 2021, and it was reviewed in June 2022. We will keep it under review.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
Collecting personal data
The Economic Growth Team will collect your personal information when:
- you contact us in writing, speak to us on the phone, by email or any other type of electronic communication, or talk to us face to face.
- you contact us and take part in any learning or development opportunities available through the Economic Growth team at the council
- only ask you for the information that is necessary
- protect it and make sure no-one has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you
If you do not provide the personal information requested by us, we may not be able to provide you with the information you need or respond to your request.
We may also gather information to know how well businesses are working together to boost the economy, increase footfall, support the workforce, create employment and promote the City. We may also undertake consultation work in order to develop key strategy documents. This helps us understand the experiences of businesses in York.
Details of information obtained from third parties
We may receive information which includes personal information, from a range of partners on your behalf, such as:
- Make It York
- the Chamber of Commerce
- Indie York
- The York BID
- other survey and consultation information
This will only take place if you have given permission to them to share that information with third parties in the first place.
Using personal data
The Economic Growth Team uses your information to provide a range of services.
Find out more about the services offered by the Economic Growth Team.
When you request information, or take part in learning and training through external partners, this will only happen if we are satisfied that they will take appropriate measures to protect your personal information and, where required, put in place contractual obligations to ensure they can only use your personal information to provide services to us and to you.
Any presentations, reports and statistics for publication or use outside of the authorised staff, will be anonymised and cannot be linked back to you or individuals. Reports containing anonymous information may also be shared with the public and other organisations.
Our legal basis for using personal data
We use your information as set out in this privacy notice for one of the following reasons:
- you have given us your explicit consent which you can withdraw at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
- the processing necessary to ensure compliance with a legal obligation
- the processing necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party
- the processing relating to a task carried out in the public interest
Sharing personal data
We will only share your personal information with other council services as appropriate.
Where we work with external partners or third parties to provide our services, we will have arrangements or agreements in place to ensure that there are appropriate data protection safeguards.
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud or tax investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
This includes exchanging information with other government departments for legal reasons. We will not sell, rent or share your information with any other organisations for marketing, market research or commercial purposes.
Retaining personal data
We will keep your information in our secure network and make sure it can only be accessed by authorised staff.
We will keep your information only for as long as is necessary and then we will securely and confidentially destroy it.
At the end of the retention period, we may pass any relevant information to the City Archives where it is required or appropriate to do so.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
Your rights relating to personal data
To find out about your rights under Data Protection law, you can go to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.