We created this privacy notice in November 2022 and will keep it under review. When we use your personal data, City of York Council (CYC) complies with data protection legislation, and is the registered ‘Controller’. Our data protection notification is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – reference Z5809563.
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when we collect personal information about you.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
- How do we get your personal data
- What personal data we process and why
- Lawful basis for processing your personal data
- When will we share your personal infomation?
- Do we use any data processors?
- How long do we keep your personal data?
- Further processing
- Overseas transfers of personal data
- Your rights
How do we get your personal data
We get information about you from the following sources:
- directly from you
- from referrers either external or internal
See further details about how we define personal data and non-personal data.
What personal data we process and why
The Council will process your personal data when you apply for an Early Support Fund grant so that grant managers can assess your application for this grant. We will:
- only ask you for the information that is necessary to consider your application for the grant for example, your name, contact details; information relevant to your application for this grant such as your proposed improvements
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you
If you do not provide the information requested by us, we may not be able to provide you with the information you need or process your application.
You can withdraw your application at any time by email: email@example.com or by telephone: 01904 551550.
The information we collect may be included in reports and returns to central government where required. Any information for publication or use outside of the council staff who need to use it to process your application, will be anonymised and will not identify any individuals.
Lawful basis for processing your personal data
The council collects and uses your personal data as you have applied for a grant and we need this information to process your application. We rely on the following lawful basis for this processing under the UK GDPR:
- Article 6(1)(b) which relates to processing necessary for the performance of a contract
- Article 6(1)(e) for the performance of our public task
- Article 6(1)(f) for the purposes of our legitimate interest
Where the information we process is special category data, the additional bases for processing that we rely on are:
- Article 9(2)(g) – where processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest
In addition, we rely on the processing condition at Schedule 1 part 1 paragraph 1 of the DPA 2018. This relates to the processing of special category data for employment purposes.
Our Appropriate Policy Document provides further information about this processing.
When will we share your personal infomation?
We will only share your personal information with other council services as appropriate for example, Finance Services.
The council has to protect public funds and may use personal information and data-matching techniques to detect and prevent fraud, collect taxes and ensure public money is targeted and spent in the most appropriate and cost-effective way. To do this, your information may be shared with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds including the Audit Commission, the Department for Work and Pensions, other local authorities, HM Revenue and Customs, and the Police.
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent. For example, if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as law enforcement, fraud or tax investigations, regulation and licensing, criminal prosecutions and court proceedings.
Do we use any data processors?
Data processors are third parties who provide certain parts of our services for us. We do not use any data processors for the Early Support Fund.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We will keep your personal data for 7 years and then we will delete or destroy it securely.
Where required or appropriate to, for example under the Public Records Act 1958 (as amended) to transfer records to the National Archives for permanent preservation, at the end of the retention period, we will pass onto the City Archives any relevant information.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
Overseas transfers of personal data
We don’t routinely transfer personal data overseas but when this is necessary we ensure that we have appropriate safeguards in place.
To find out about your rights under data protection law, you can go to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) website.
Read our privacy notice to find out more information about your rights.
See further details of your rights relating to personal data.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, want to exercise your rights, or if you have a complaint about how your information has been used, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
- Website terms and disclaimer
- Data Protection Policy Statement
- Accessibility statement
- Cookies policy
- Copyright statement