We keep the Concessionary Bus Passes Privacy Notice under review. It was last reviewed and updated in May 2022.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
- collecting personal data
- our legal basis for using personal data
- sharing personal data
- retaining personal data
- further processing of personal data
- your rights relating to personal data
Collecting personal data
We will collect your personal data via:
- online application forms for Older Persons’ bus passes and YOzone cards
- paper application forms for Older and Disabled Persons’ bus passes and YOzone cards
- face-to-face applications and queries regarding Older and Disabled Persons’ bus passes and YOzone cards
- telephone queries regarding Older and Disabled Persons’ bus passes and YOzone cards
The amount and type of personal data we collect from you or others about you, will depend on why and how you are contacting or interacting with us. It will include:
- personal identifiers and contacts such as your name, address, date of birth, national insurance number, email address and telephone number
- details of any disability entitling you to a bus pass, including an electronic copy of any documentary evidence submitted as part of your application
- serial numbers and dates of issue of your current and previous bus passes
- a digital photograph of you
- brief notes of any subsequent contact you have had with our customer services staff
Our legal basis for using personal data
We use your personal data to:
- enable us to carry out our statutory duty to provide a concessionary travel scheme for older and disabled persons
- derive statistics for reports and to inform decisions such as the funding of our concessionary travel scheme
- assess performance and to set targets
As we ask for your explicit consent, this is our lawful reason for using your personal data, as set out in this privacy notice.
Sharing personal data
To deliver the concessionary bus passes service, we will need to share your personal data with:
- North Yorkshire County Council, as the lead organisation in the North Yorkshire and York Concessionary Fares partnership
- external database service providers delivering relevant services under contract to North Yorkshire County Council and City of York Council
- external bus pass production service providers delivering relevant services under contract to North Yorkshire County Council and City of York Council
- audit services within local and national government
We will not pass on your personal data to any third parties for marketing, sales or any other commercial purposes.
We will also use the information we collect from you for reporting, research and statistical purposes. When we do this, it will be anonymised which means the information will be turned into a form that cannot be linked back to you and does not identify individuals.
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
We must protect public funds and may use personal data and data-matching techniques to detect and prevent fraud, collect taxes and ensure public money is targeted and spent in the most appropriate and cost-effective way. To do this, your personal data may be shared with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, including the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs, the Police and other local authorities.
Retaining personal data
We will only keep your personal data for as long as we need it and we will securely and confidentially delete and destroy it when we no longer have a need for it.
If you do not renew your pass, or we are notified that you have moved away from the York area or have died, we will delete your personal information within three months. Otherwise, we will continue to hold your information for as long as you retain use of your bus pass or YOzone card.
At the end of the retention period, we may pass any relevant information to the City Archives where it is required or appropriate to do so.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
Your rights relating to personal data
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.
It is your responsibility to let us know if you want to withdraw your consent.
You can do this at any time, by emailing email@example.com, or in writing with your details, stating clearly that you wish to withdraw consent for the use of your personal data.
Write to;Concessionary Bus Passes
City of York Council
Please note that should you withdraw your consent you will be required to stop using your concessionary bus pass or YOzone card and return it us to be destroyed.