We keep the City Walls Privacy Notice under review. It was last reviewed and updated in September 2020.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
Collecting personal data
The amount and type of personal data the council collects from you will depend on why and how you are contacting or interacting with us, and the service you are requesting.
When we collect your personal data we will:
- ensure you know why we need it
- only ask for what is necessary for the service we are providing to you
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- ensure you know if you have a choice about giving us information
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the information we hold about you
Using personal data
If you make a donation to the City Walls, we will only ask for the information we need for this and to send you an acknowledgement.
Sharing personal data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
Retaining personal data
We will only keep your information for as long as is necessary and then we will securely and confidentially destroy it.
At the end of the retention period, we may pass any relevant information to the City Archives where it is required or appropriate to do so.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
Your rights relating to personal data
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.