We keep the City of York Council Health Trainers (CYC Health Trainers) Privacy Notice under review. It was last reviewed and updated in March 2021.
A privacy notice describes what happens to the information you give us and how we maintain your privacy as you use the CYC Health Trainers service. This includes any correspondence relating to this.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the privacy information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
The amount and type of information we ask for will depend on the content of your Health Trainer appointment and whether you attend an appointment.
It's likely this will include background information about you such as:
- date of birth
- lifestyle and habits, such as smoking status, alcohol consumption, exercise and diet
- your medical history, such as any current diagnosis
- the results of some medical tests, such as your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- which GP practice you attend
- contact information such as a phone number, email address or postal address
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice any mistakes in the information we hold about you
See further details about how we define personal data and non-personal data.
Using personal data
We only use your personal data as set out in this privacy notice if:
- you have contacted us directly for this service
- a health professional such as a GP or nurse has referred you to this service
- a midwife has referred you as part of their ‘opt-out’ programme
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sharing personal data
We'll only use your personal information in accordance data protection and privacy legislation to provide you with a Health Trainer appointment delivered by the CYC Health Trainers Service. This means your personal information will be held by City of York Council, and will only be shared with individuals in other teams at City of York Council, or external partners, agencies and contractors involved in delivering or evaluating the Health Trainer service. This includes Cyber Media, our IT system provider.
If you attend a virtual video conference meeting, we have an agreement in place with Attend Anywhere to provide secure online conversations. See the Attend Anywhere privacy statement.
We only ask for what information is necessary to offer you a full and comprehensive Health Trainer appointment. We will protect your information and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t.
Anonymised data may be used to provide statistical and demographic information, for example to report on and evaluate the Health Trainer service. This may involve your anonymised data being shared with individuals in external organisations who are supporting the evaluation of the service.
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
Retaining personal data
We'll keep the information you give us and your personal data in the council’s secure network drive and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t.
We'll keep your personal data in accordance with our retention schedule requirements and when we no longer have a need to keep it, we'll delete or destroy it securely.
We'll only keep your information for the following periods of time, depending on why we have your details:
- Details for referrals were no appointment is kept: 2 years for identifiable information and 5 years for non-identifiable information
- Stop Smoking appointments: 2 years for identifiable information and 5 years for non-identifiable information
- Health Trainer appointments: 7 years
At the end of the retention period we will securely and confidentially destroy your information. We may pass any relevant information to the City Archives where it is required or appropriate to do so.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
City of York Council does not pass personal data to third parties for marketing, sales or any other commercial purposes without your prior explicit consent.
Your rights relating to personal data
If you have any questions about this privacy notice please contact the CYC Health Trainers service on telephone: 01904 557733 or email: email@example.com.
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.