We keep the Asset and Property Management Privacy Notice under review. It was last reviewed and updated in July 2019.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice contact the council’s Data Protection Officer.
View the Privacy and transparency information for all of the City of York Council (CYC).
- only ask for information necessary to process your application for the service we're providing
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- make sure we don’t keep it for longer than is necessary
- delete or destroy it securely when we no longer have a need to keep it
We ask that you:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible of any changes
- tell us as soon as possible if you notice mistakes in the data we hold about you
If you don't provide the information we ask for, we may not be able to process your enquiry about Council property.
We may collect the following personal data:
- contact information including email address and phone number
- trading history
- credit status
- character reference
See further details about how we define personal data and non-personal data.
Collecting personal data
We collect your personal data for the purpose of:
- managing the council’s property estate in our capacity as a landlord
- administering lease and letting agreements
- programming safety inspections and surveys
- notifying organisations or individuals about properties available to let or for sale
We'll only use your personal information in accordance with data protection legislation and for the purposes stated in this Privacy Notice.
See further details about the steps we take when we collect your personal data.
Using personal data
As a registered commercial property landlord, we need to collect, store and use personal data about you to enable us to deliver services to you, such as in the following areas:
- letting, renting and leasing properties
- administering waiting lists
- maintaining our accounts and records
- supporting and managing our employees, agents and contractors
- dealing with complaints and any feedback from you
See further details about how we use your personal data.
Sharing personal data
Your information will be shared with all of the following service areas to process your application if you enter into a contractual arrangement with the Council with regards to its property:
- Financial Services
- Legal Services
- Facilities Management
- Housing Services
Sharing data under Data Protection legislation
We may be required or permitted, under data protection legislation, to disclose your personal data without your explicit consent, for example if we have a legal obligation to do so, such as for:
- law enforcement
- fraud investigations
- regulation and licensing
- criminal prosecutions
- court proceedings
We must protect public funds and may use personal data and data-matching techniques to detect and prevent fraud, collect taxes and ensure public money is targeted and spent in the most appropriate and cost-effective way. To do this, your personal data may be shared with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, including the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs, the Police and other local authorities.
Our legal basis for collecting and sharing personal data
We collect and use your personal data because it is necessary for:
- the performance of our contract with you in order to manage your tenancy or lease or other services you have engaged with
- to take steps at your request before entering into a contract
- to comply with our legal and property management obligations
Retaining personal data
We will continue to hold your information during the period whereby you have a contractual arrangement with the council or are in the process of applying for such and will retain after such period as considered appropriate.
We will continue to process your information under this basis until you withdraw consent or it is determined your consent no longer exists
Where required or appropriate to, at the end of the retention period, we will pass any relevant information to the City Archives.
Further processing of personal data
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we'll provide you with a new notice.
The new notice will:
- explain this new use before we start the processing
- set out the relevant purposes and processing conditions
Where and whenever necessary, we'll seek your consent to the new processing, if we start to use your personal data for a purpose not mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
See further details about the further processing of personal data.
Your rights relating to personal data
When we collect your personal data we'll tell you how we are going to use it. Where we process your personal data, you have a number of rights under data protection law.